10 week old chicken - barely growing - only wing feathers.

Esjay600

Chirping
Dec 3, 2017
Australia
Hi all

I hope this was an appropriate place to post this, but I am getting quite worried about one of my chickens. I have three, all from the same hen, and I am new to chicken-owning. They are apparently all hens, though I suspect one is a rooster, but that's irrelevant to the point.

Two of the chickens are growing well, they are fully feathered compared to when I got them three weeks ago. They have filled out very nicely, and no longer look fluffy. But one chicken, looks like it is barely any bigger than when I got it.

She was always the smallest, and the most afraid. She is less afraid now, in fact she's quite brave now. I see her eat and drink, scratch and peck at the ground and at her food. She is still fluffy, and has VERY few feathers (all on her wings).

I don't see the others pick on her, though she sometimes sits by herself because she can't reach the higher of the perches. They are fed wheat, chick starter (just moved over to grower, as per the brand instructions), kitchen scrap veg. They also have access to the very large run which has plenty to scratch around in. They also have access to shell grit, and pebbles etc. that can be found in the dirt in their run.

I am not sure what to do. Why is she the only one not filling out? I am about to try to feed her some scrambled egg, as I've read she might need more protein? And I will go the store later and get some meal worms.

Have you seen this before? If so, do you have any advice? How did you handle this situation?

Thank you so much.

Edit: I just wanted to add that I've just gone and fed her a scrambled egg. She took to it well, although I couldn't get her alone, so they're all eating it.

I noticed she does have a few feathers on the side of her legs, though I wanted to mention that you can see the pink of her skin under her fluff on the tops of her wings and some of her back. Her feathers are also growing quite non-uniformly (they look quite scraggly). It's got me quite worried. :(

Last edited:
I’m also thinking maybe you should limit their diet to just their grower feed for a bit. You could even mix in some chick starter if you still have it.

Yes, I do still have a little bit of chick starter. She doesn't seem to have scabs or the like, but I have not checked her for lice/mites yet.

I have attached a picture of them together. She is obviously the smaller one on the right.

Thank you for your advice.

Attachments

• Chickies.jpg
    Chickies.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 60
Apparently the Mother Hen had six, and this is three of them. I was told they were all the same age; she was always the smaller of the three, but the other two have grown substantially more than she has.

I haven't seen them bully her, although that doesn't mean it's not happening. I watched her eat the scrambled egg, and the others did not bully her out of the way. They have seemed content with each other, will sit together, etc. but I haven't watched them 24/7 either.

Thank you Allie, at first I thought she was just a bit slower being the runt maybe, but now I'm more worried.

Back
Top Bottom