100 Broilers and Fermented Feed Project

Phew! It's taken me a few days, but I finally have read the whole thread. I've had laying hens for 4 years or so, but this year I'm finally taking the plunge into meat birds. I've got 24 coming on Monday- 12 Cornish Cross, 6 Red Ranger and 6 Pioneer, all from McMurray.

I need to get my feed started, as well as get back into fermenting the feed for my layers. I did a brief trial with ff my layers a few weeks ago and they loved it. I got too lazy, but I want to get back to it.

Phew! It's taken me a few days, but I finally have read the whole thread. I've had laying hens for 4 years or so, but this year I'm finally taking the plunge into meat birds. I've got 24 coming on Monday- 12 Cornish Cross, 6 Red Ranger and 6 Pioneer, all from McMurray.

I need to get my feed started, as well as get back into fermenting the feed for my layers. I did a brief trial with ff my layers a few weeks ago and they loved it. I got too lazy, but I want to get back to it.

Good for you. You won't regret it.
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC !!

Keep us updated on the 3 meat birds you are getting-- always fun to compare growth rates on the same feed.

Ok, I finally got a few weights done. It was more difficult than I expected. The little stinkers don't want to stay put on the scale and poop is squirting all over the place. I really needed a hazmat suit just for weights. Geesh. :/

I wanted to start processing about 20 of them but I didn't want to waste my 1st Sunday with more daylight working . Perhaps I'll get some done next weekend.

Any who, here are a few weights. They were 9 weeks old on Friday.

5.69 lbs

5.31 lbs

4.39 lbs

Last edited:
What were the weights at 1 week? Just weighed the CX cross BR and it is 135 grams at 10 days.

I am definitely saying it is smaller than a regular CX, but MUCH larger than a heritage counterpart. It looks a week advanced right now.

And in my phone before I even started CX. Lol Proof for me and those I needed to convince it could be done free ranged :) thanks for sharing such great picture proof :).

The other day I was doing a random check. I do a lot of different things online and Like to know what Google picks up in reference to myself.
Try it lol Go to Google images and google your own screen name for here, BYC shares um all :gig...my goodness I have more pics than posts I think.

Sorry about your lost girl, Aoxa.

I'm pretty sure I saw one of your pictures on another site, your chickens are all over the internet :)

Last edited:
What were the weights at 1 week? Just weighed the CX cross BR and it is 135 grams at 10 days. 

I am definitely saying it is smaller than a regular CX, but MUCH larger than a heritage counterpart. It looks a week advanced right now.

At 4 days old, some were 2.4 ounces (68.03885544 grams) and 4.1 ounces (116.2 grams). I did an online transversion to grams as you have above and I have provided the grams as well.

The 135 grams as you have stated above is 4.7619848673927 ounces.

Back
Top Bottom