100% cockerel? 3 month old GLW

LisaChick1

Songster
5 Years
Jul 10, 2014
Carmel Valley
Born May 31, 2014. 3 months old approx. feathered in quickly .
But assumed this beauty is a roo for some time now by waddle and comb but thought it'd be good to get some extra opinions to be sure
3 month old golden laced wyandotte. Thank you!!
Not sure of their typical comb and waddle but "his" is quite large for the age, no crowing yet, seems to be pack leader, I believe has pointed feathers around the neck but I'm new to this.

Last edited:
Well, many hatchery Wyandottes have single combs, unfortunately, but I can't tell if he's even a Wyandotte from that photo. If this bird is definitely only 3 months old, its a cockerel, though. The saddle area is what you want to show for the best indicator of male traits, the area just in front of the tail. A full body shot is best.

Last edited:
I've assumed this beauty is a roo for some time now but thought it'd be good to get some extra opinions to be sure
3 month old golden laced wyandotte. Thank you!!
Not sure of their typical comb and waddle but "his" is quite large for the age, no crowing yet, seems to be pack leader, I believe has pointed feathers around the neck but I'm new to this.
Not sure it is a golden laced wyandotte they have rose comb and yep it's a roo.

Quote: But not at 3 months old, CC. That is a honking huge comb for 12 weeks old. Still, you're definitely correct, as I also said, about the body shot.

I do find that folks lose track of their birds' ages. I've done that myself. Could be older than 3 months, but if it is only 3 mths old, it's not a pullet.

Last edited:
But not at 3 months old, CC. That is a honking huge comb for 12 weeks old. Still, you're definitely correct, as I also said, about the body shot.

I do find that folks lose track of their birds' ages. I've done that myself. Could be older than 3 months, but if it is only 3 mths old, it's not a pullet.

While that's true - the "x months" bit is often a bit murky with some folks in how they count and you could have +/- a good bit of time to the actual age of the bird - so having those full body shots would help as we can see if there are other clues not only to gender but also a better idea of the age.
OP - when you post the pictures as requested perhaps you can also include the hatch date or at least the date you got the bird and an idea of the approximate age at that time based on whether the bird was fully fuzzy, partially feathered or fully feathered when you got it.

But not at 3 months old, CC. That is a honking huge comb for 12 weeks old. Still, you're definitely correct, as I also said, about the body shot.

I do find that folks lose track of their birds' ages. I've done that myself. Could be older than 3 months, but if it is, it's not a pullet.
So true about losing track of ages. I have to keep really good records on hatchings.
And if the birds come from someone else, the age is hearsay.

I know that Wyandotte combs don't grow like Mediterranean breeds.
BTW, THESE are honking huge combs.

the mottled bird is a 2 month old pullet

4 month old pullet - I thought she was a boy for a while with pointy hackles - till she started laying eggs.

Last edited:
So sorry guys! I guess my other photos didn't post!!! I'm positive on age.... I got them from a hatchery on May 31st one day old supposed to be females.... So just a little over 3 months

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom