11 week old cockerel sounds raspy & sneezy with possible doughy crop??

rumbleBee_STi

Songster
Jun 10, 2020
Sylva, North Carolina
I don’t think I can catch a break in between my boys getting sick! I have another 11 week old cockerel who has been sneezing & is now very raspy sounding, like purring. When I picked him up he also seems to have a doughy feeling crop that keeps position when pushed. Are these 2 things related? I’ve already separated him. What treatment plan should I start to follow?

UPDATE:
I took him out for a minute & held him while rubbing on his crop. It’s not very full, but it does feel gummy. While massaging it, I could hear liquid from inside the crop.

Last edited:
I don’t think I can catch a break in between my boys getting sick! I have another 11 week old cockerel who has been sneezing & is now very raspy sounding, like purring. When I picked him up he also seems to have a doughy feeling crop that keeps position when pushed. Are these 2 things related? I’ve already separated him. What treatment plan should I start to follow?

UPDATE:
I took him out for a minute & held him while rubbing on his crop. It’s not very full, but it does feel gummy. While massaging it, I could hear liquid from inside the crop.
What are you feeding, including treats?
Grit available free choice?
Photos of his poop and of him?

If the crop is doughy, then I would start with giving coconut oil.
Consider that usually there is an underlying cause for a crop issue. In a bird that's 11 weeks old, I might treat for Coccidiosis as well.
This article is really good at helping to determine the course of treatment for crop issue.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you. 🙏🏼

Consider that usually there is an underlying cause for a crop issue. In a bird that's 11 weeks old, I might treat for Coccidiosis as well.
This article is really good at helping to determine the course of treatment for crop issue.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
He’s on starter crumble, the only treats I feed the babies are whole kernel (soft) corn. I have been integrating the babies in with the adults via free range, as of right now they’re still inside my home, but when they go outside they have a bowl of grit. I will start the coconut oil first thing in the morning for breakfast. His crop wasnt as doughy as earlier, it feels emptier. I feel so bad for him. I’ve turned all of the lights out so that it might help him fall asleep but he sounds like a purring cat & occasionally will scare the daylights out of me sneezing. 😞 The first picture of his poop is when I brought him in after free ranging. The second picture of his poop must’ve been a few hours ago or less.
1A36B3FF-E937-417F-83D4-089EDD1A6B1B.jpeg
59605FAF-37BD-441A-9776-2391B50F82D2.jpeg

I’m not holding him in this video & his breathing has changed. I haven’t noticed any mucous or any type of drainage coming out of anything. He also doesn’t breathe like this constantly. Right now he’s quiet, but purring.

So his crop was empty-empty this morning. I felt around just to make sure & I couldn’t even find where his crop was. Would it be better to give him the coconut oil by itself or mix it in with his food? He’s crowing alongside his brother right now, his crow doesn’t sound much different but maybe a bit monotone. He hasn’t been as sneezy or raspy sounding today but still has bit of a rasp.

Is there anything inside his beak like white or yellow pasty material, a bad odor?

He may have respiratory illness instead of a crop issue or a combination.
You could try an antibiotic like Tylosin to see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom