1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

11 week old silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mtnmom85, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mtnmom85

mtnmom85 In the Brooder

silkie3.jpg silkie4.jpg silkie5.jpg silkie1.jpg silkie2.jpg I have 2 white silkies. They look exactly alike and the breeder(my brother in law) thinks they are both girls. Can I please get your opinions? I am only posting pictures of the one since they both look so much a like its hard to tell them apart.
    *****I should add that both the silkies are followers. We have a Bantam Cochin Roo, a Barred Rock Roo and an EE Roo. This silkie and the other both follow the Bantam Roo around. If he gets up and walks somewhere else, they follow him. No crowing only little chirps as they run around.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. Kailey the Animal Lover

Kailey the Animal Lover Chirping

Mar 13, 2018
    I don't know much about silkies, but he looks like he has roo feathers.

mtnmom85 likes this.
  3. MissMaple

MissMaple Chirping

Mar 1, 2018
    Rhode Island
    Don't count on me but I *think* they're pullets. They don't have wattles. Is this a sign of anything?

mtnmom85 and Cyprus like this.
  4. Cyprus

Cyprus Master of the 'never give up' attitude Premium Member

It looks like a Pullet to me.

MissMaple likes this.
  5. legit chickens

legit chickens In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2016
    I believe those are both pullets. Since they are 11 weeks and the combs are not that large i'm pretty sure they are both girls unless they show signs of crowing.

mtnmom85, Cyprus and MissMaple like this.
  6. Rubysword

Rubysword Crowing

Apr 19, 2017
    USMA, NY
    The comb is so small that I'm thinking pullet. I could be wrong, though. Very nice pictures and beautiful bird!

mtnmom85 and MissMaple like this.
  7. mtnmom85

mtnmom85 In the Brooder

See, I wasn't too sure about the waddles because I know out Barred Rock hen has small waddles. By looking at the top of its head it makes me think pullet because its more like a pom pom on its head, but then again....I have no clue what I am talking about LOL

Rubysword likes this.
  8. MissMaple

MissMaple Chirping

Mar 1, 2018
    Rhode Island
    I thought that because they don't have waddles they're hens. Is that not it?

mtnmom85 likes this.
  9. mtnmom85

mtnmom85 In the Brooder

No signs of crowing at all. They do walk around chirping though. Our Bantam Cochin who hatched the same night as our Silkies is already crowing and shows definite signs that its a rooster. The silkies are just very passive and love to follow to Roosters around, which to me kinda shows more of a hen's personality.

Rubysword likes this.
  10. mtnmom85

mtnmom85 In the Brooder

I'm not sure about Silkies, but I know that other breeds hens do have small waddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: