Chicken Breed Focus - Yokohama

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
The Yokohama is a striking long tailed rare breed, believed to have arrived in Europe from Japan during the 1860’s or 1870’s. The original imports were sent from the port of Yokohama, by a French Missionary named Girad. In Europe the breed was thus known as Yokohama.

In the UK, all of the varieties with long tails were given the Yokohama name, but in Germany, in attempt to differentiate them, they gave them different names: "Jokohama" for the varieties with red lobes and walnut / pea combs and "Phönix" for the single combed varieties with long tail feathers. Breeders in Germany, most notably in Saxony, worked hard on improving the breed and Harrison Weir wrote in “The Poultry Book”published in 1902 “In some parts of Saxony and Germany, they are raised to great perfection, and clubs have been instituted for their production and possible improvement”.

The Phönix variety were mostly made up of the Japanese O-Nagi-Dori and were further crossed with other European breeds, possibly with Old English Game, mostly to overcome some of the challenges of inbreeding from the few imports that were available. The Jokohamas are thought to be crosses from the Japanese breed of Satsumadori, Minohiki and others.
Yokohamas have remained a rare breed in the UK and still seem to be more popular in Germany, which is surprising considering how striking they are. It may be because managing the tail feathers, which trail behind the male on the floor and can become dirty in the wrong kind of environment, proves too much of a challenge for their keepers.
The Yokohama was first admitted to the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1981.

Details:

Breed Purpose Ornamental
Comb Walnut
Broodiness Average
Climate Tolerance Heat
Egg Productivity Low
Egg Size Small
Egg Color Light Brown
Breed Temperament Bears confinement well,Docile
Breed Colors/Varieties White and Red-Saddled or Red-Shouldered Pictures courtesy of Chickndaddy and chickencharmer.
Breed Size Large Fowl

Pic by @WarrenHound

Pic by @chickletteSarge

Pic by @Decoyman

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/yokohama

BYC Breed Discussion:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/368521/attn-yokohama-lovers/0_30

Do you own Yokohamas? Are you a Yokohama breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

We have a bunch of other awesome breed-focus threads for you to enjoy. You can see all of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-breed-focus-project.975504/

Last edited by a moderator:
i miss having my Yokies!!! its been almost 3 years now!!! they were my favorite trio!!! the 2 hens in the first post were from what i was told TMA imports from 2002! old gals but they still produced chicks! i got maybe 3-5 chicks in the short time i had them. the stag sired my sumatra crosses that were stunning blue/silver birds! the black in the tail was from what i have read in the past a desired trait as it meant the stag had good genes. or something to that effect...
please if you are breeding these birds post some pics, share your lines, lets bring this breed back! i dont see many ppl with this breed anymore!!! when i had my trio there were quite a few breeders. now not so much. once i get back to the big open country i will be looking for a good trio of Yokies!!!

what do you call this feather design?

Back
Top Bottom