11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my incubator in our bedroom this year, to make sure the new kittens don’t wreak havoc on it in the spare room, and I was awoken by some little ducky chatting away inside it’s egg this morning ❤ It’s a much nicer alarm clock than the 4 obnoxious roosters, constantly trying to out do each other, that I’m usually woken up by 😂
How many hens or pullets do you have with them?

We have 20 pullets/hens and we are adding two new roosters today or tomorrow. We have 1 mini Brahma we are keeping too but he's bonded to the other mini Brahma we have.

How many hens or pullets do you have with them?

We have 20 pullets/hens and we are adding two new roosters today or tomorrow. We have 1 mini Brahma we are keeping too but he's bonded to the other mini Brahma we have.

Our BP Brahma has 6, and the other boys were grow outs that were in the bachelor pad until yesterday (sold them, finally!). We hatched an absurd amount of roosters last year, like 75% 🤦🏻‍♀️

It’s so hard with the Brahma because they mature so slow that I have to wait forever to choose who to process and who I’m keeping. Unfortunately the rooster I wanted to keep had a slightly wry tail, and I didn’t want to chance it, so I kept one of the taller boys who is less typey than I hoped (but he’s not even a year old until July, so he’s got a bit of growing to do). He’s a bit hard on the girls, but I’m hoping having the other boys gone helps with that.

Luckily my Australorp rooster is quiet, and the Silkies & Cochins are new this year so no crowers yet... We should have built the coop farther into the bush 😂

There will be different indicators at various stages. Early on, the vascular structure will collapse, creating a blood ring.

In week 2, the vascular structure will also collapse, and the chick will no longer be moving or anchored in the shell (when the egg is rocked gently it will look quite, what I refer to as, cloudy or soupy).

In the later stages you may be able to see the vascular structure in the upper most part of the egg (close to the air cell) is either gone, or very dark red, and you won’t see movement from the chick.

If it’s has died during lock down, the air cell will not suck down, indicating failure to get into hatching position (although sometime it can mean they are just breach). The space by the aircell may also look yellow, or orange, where before it was dark or full of veins, and the chick will not be moving (sometimes hard to detect when the chick is that large, but you can float test when in doubt if it’s past it’s due day).

:goodpost: These are great descriptions of what people can expect to see with quitters! I find it hard to describe. I'll be bookmarking your post. Thanks!

I have a chick that just hatched. I'll get pics once it's dry.

My flock is actually quite relaxed without Squatch. Hoping the new boys aren't going to change that, but our friend said he has siblings of those two and they are very friendly with his girls. Not obnoxiously mating either. Can't wait to get them... It's like Christmas!!!

I have a chick that just hatched. I'll get pics once it's dry.

My flock is actually quite relaxed without Squatch. Hoping the new boys aren't going to change that, but our friend said he has siblings of those two and they are very friendly with his girls. Not obnoxiously mating either. Can't wait to get them... It's like Christmas!!!

So you have pictures of your soon-to-be new addition??

20200410_104929.jpg

First chick (ever) hatched from my own flock. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom