12 Week old Chick sick for over a month now... PLEASE HELP!!!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Ameraucana about 11 weeks old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargy, pale comb, breathing heavy with mouth open *sometimes*, (gaping?), occasional sneeze.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
10 days for pale comb, a week for mouth breathing.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No but I think my rooster in a different pen has fowlpox.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
There were some baby RIR's that got cocci in that same pen about 2 months ago.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Organic Chick Starter- seems to be eating and drinking fine.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
It's perfect.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Sulmet for 4 days then Azithromycin for 4 days. Vitamins, probios, and ACV daily.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Like to treat myself, maybe take to vet if I can find one and I have to.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
None

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
Was outside in the baby coop, had bermuda hay for bedding, now inside in a carrier with towels.

So of course, my favorite little Ameraucana Cockerel is sick, never fails that it's our favorites. I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong with him. I thought he had Cocci, since it was in that pen a couple months ago, but he has not responded to Sulmet or Azithromycin. He is still running around, and eating and drinking, his poops are fine. He will still fly from the ground up to arm. His comb was a little pale and that was the first thing I noticed. It's darker now since I brought him inside, but not as dark as his siblings. I'm worried because he's been like this for so long. He isn't puffed up, he actually looks pretty good. He sneezes every now and then but it's a little better too since I brought him inside. I looked on the Chicken Diseases charts and it doesn't match anything on there. He has NO crust, weeping, smell or discharge of any kind. Other than an occasional sneeze, pale comb, and some mouth breathing, he seems fine. But I know he isn't. He's sleeping in my lap now.

Please help, he needs to be better soon!!!!

EDITED TO ADD: I've scoured his poo for worms and him for mites and there has been no sign of either. I guess that would be my next step? as I haven't done that yet... I've also massaged his crop and can't feel anything abnormal. Also looked down his mouth into throat and didn't see anything abnormal there either.

Last edited:
If you listen real close to him breathing can you hear a rattle?

Try this for a day then re-administer the sulmet it will work better. I just saved my uncle's silkies by doing this.

ASTRINGENT SOLUTION

This solution can be used to treat young birds that show non-typical disease symptoms of poor growth. The solution can also be given to birds suffering from respiratory diseases that produce a large amount of mucus exudate. This solution will help "cut through" the mucus and allow it to be expelled easier.

Two quarts of apple cider vinegar diluted into 100 gallons of water
(4 teaspoons/gallon)

The tannin in the apple cider vinegar aide in removing any mucus or coating from the mouth, throat, or intestinal tract. Nutrients and drugs are more readily absorbed. Offer this solution as the only drinking water source for two to three day intervals.

taken from http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Vitamins, probios, and ACV daily.
You do know that you cannot use ACV with anything else in the water such as vitamins or medications, and to put it in plastic or glass waterers only, not metal, right? And FYI, unpastuerized ACV is a form of probiotics.
What kind of probiotic are you giving?
Vitamin A is a most important vitamin for ocular, mucus membrane, and respiratory health in poultry. It is so important to the chicken that a lack of sufficient vitamin A in the diet can actually CAUSE respiratory & other illness. So it's one of the first nutrients I make sure to supplement to an ill bird. You can try to feed him some foods that are high in vitamins A, K & E , especially vit. A.
Some foods high in vit. A are: broccoli, butternut squash, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, mangoes & tomato juice. Spinach, peppers & alfalfa leaves for K, and sweet potatoes & broccoli for E (immune system).
If you have any of these veggies, boil them up until they are soft & chop them into bite-size pieces or mash them with a fork.

Sorry I missed that I am not up with all the abbreviations.

Is the antibiotic you are giving comparable to spinctomycin and lincomycin?

If the weeze has disappeared maybe he is on the upswing and just needs some more time. I noticed one of my uncles chicks was actually blowing snot bubbles this morning and by this evening she was much better. This is day 4 for them on sulmet. day six of being sick. I also gave them vi-tal which seemd to pep them all up quite a bit.

Goodluck, I hope he makes it.

Never pick a favorite, something bad always happens to the favorites.........

Quote:

I've never heard of not being able to put ACV in the water with the vitamins....?

I was aware that it is a probiotic, the one I use is unpasteurized. I have heard about the metal thing, and it's in plastic. The antibiotics are not in the water.

The vitamins and Probios I use are Rooster Booster:
61023_imageimg.png

Last edited:
Ok so it's roughly a week later and he is still the same. He seemed to be doing better on the Antibiotics, but was on them a while so I stopped them and now he seems to be sneezing more so I just started them again.

Does anyone have any clues as to what it could be?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom