12 week old silkies - pullets or cockerels?

Pyxis

Hatchi Wan Kenobi
Project Manager
12 Years
Mar 27, 2012
Vermont
My Coop
My Coop
I know it may be a bit too early to tell, especially since they came from SQ parents and are ridiculously fluffy. No comb or wattle development yet on any of them.

Blue #1

Blue #2

Black

And my little favorite, a splash:

Thanks for any guesses! I keep looking for streamers but I'm not sure what I'm looking for at this age.

As you suspected, it is a bit young to tell. In many cases, you won't know the gender of Silkies until they either crow or lay an egg, so it might be a long wait. But, at least in my opinion, neither one of your birds are looking cockerel-ish. If I had to say that one was a cockerel, though, I would say that the black one is a cockerel. They're both beautiful birds! Are you going to show them?

As you suspected, it is a bit young to tell. In many cases, you won't know the gender of Silkies until they either crow or lay an egg, so it might be a long wait. But, at least in my opinion, neither one of your birds are looking cockerel-ish. If I had to say that one was a cockerel, though, I would say that the black one is a cockerel. They're both beautiful birds! Are you going to show them?

Thanks! There's actually four - the first three pictures are of two different blue birds. The lighting wasn't the best in the coop when I took the pictures. I haven't decided yet whether to show them or not, I've never done it before so it would take lots of research.

Last edited:
Splash is a pullet. Hard to say for the others but Blue #2 might be a cockerel- going by the crest. Standing pictures would be better. Black too.
Blue #1 to me looks like it could go other way unless I see standing pics ;)

Thanks! I'll get some standing pictures tomorrow. Today when I let them out they collapsed in a heap and started dust bathing so I couldn't get good pictures except of the splash. Silly things.

You're welcome :) Alrighty! I look forward to them! (also, standing from the side would be the best. And a pic of them all together would be great too!)
(They really are silly haha!)

Last edited:
Okay, here are some new pictures of one blue and the black - of course the blue I'm thinking is a cockerel dunked his head in the water dish and ruined his crest so I'll have to get a picture of him tomorrow. Darn birds :rolleyes:

Blue:

My camera has issues focusing on the black because she's so dark so here are a couple pictures:

can't see the comb formation on them - would be great if the topknot was held back (rubber band?) and a clear, closeup of the front - face and comb. All I can see if black feathers.

can't see the comb formation on them  - would be great if the topknot was held back (rubber band?) and a clear, closeup of the front - face and comb.  All I can see if black feathers.

None of them have any comb development as of yet. But I'll see if I can get some pictures of their combs for you. It's really had with all the fluff.

can't see the comb formation on them - would be great if the topknot was held back (rubber band?) and a clear, closeup of the front - face and comb. All I can see if black feathers.

None of them have any comb development as of yet. But I'll see if I can get some pictures of their combs for you. It's really had with all the fluff.
try, maybe we could gues for you, although i m not an expert. also, most silkie hens, have got smooth combs, and roosters got bumpier combs
agreed, need them

Back
Top Bottom