120Volt Chicken Protection

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Kentucky, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    For what its worth, a 120Volt perimeter fence is relatively simple to build and will "STOP" all diggers and climbers literally dead in their tracks.

Here's a typical how-to:

Drive 2' foot sections of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC pipe leaving about 16" above ground spaced approximately 4'. Place the pipe section posts as close to your coup or pen as possible. Next drill three 1/8" holes in each post at 4", 8" and 12" and string with a contiguous section of 24gauge solid bare wire. Connect the normally hot wire side of an old lamp zipper cord to the bare wire and the other to a driven small ground rod. Simply plug it in at nightfall and don't forget to unplug in the morning.

Important: If any part of this sounds confusing, have someone do it that understands electricity, above all be safe.

Kentucky

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    what kind of varmitts are you after with that super jolter.that will kill a person dead fred.

3. Kentucky

Apr 16, 2008
    U-betcha, but the reason sorta goes like this:

First, the wife just got her 6 chicks a week ago; 2-Ameraucanas 1-Australorp 1-Cochin 2-Wyandottes.

Second, I spent the last(2)two months building her a literal (fortress)coup and pen, which I'm fairly certain will hold em', while keeping out all of the undesirables.

Third, she said, "Now when they grow up and I move them out here, I don't want anything to happen to them".

So you gotta know that represents a high level of "responsibility" and can no doubt understand why I felt the need to utilize some "energizer bunny" technology to protect those little egg machines.

Kentucky

4. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Keep in mind that a cheap fence controller from Tractor Supply is under $100 and
    will produce high voltage/low current, something a lot less dangerous to a person.

Using 120 like that is an arc or ground flash waiting to happen. Not only can you
    shock someone badly but it can also cause burns and fires.

Just be careful. It's your property and you have a right to do with is as you see fit.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah... be careful. You don't accidentally want to fry something you didn't mean to. A different pet, someone elses pet, children, or the unlucky stranger who happens to pass by. Don't know your property set up, but just be safe, last thing you want to hurt is yourself or your family.

6. Kentucky

Apr 16, 2008
    chickenshadow,silkiechicken:

It is understood that, this would not be your desired method protection.

Kentucky

7. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    You cannot "be safe" and do this, because it is inherently unsafe. There are no failsafes, and it is lethal. What if an unsuspecting child wanders upon this? They are dead. Then you are going to jail. I hope nobody is foolish enough to try this.

8. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I've seen people use this "electrical hazard" [​IMG] before! My advice is "NEVER EVER TRY THIS" This is a live wire loaded with amps waiting for something or SOMEONE to connect then it or U becomes part of the "Loaded Circuit" PLEASE DON'T TRY THIS IT IS DEADLY...[​IMG].. Some fence chargers will put out as high as 6,000 volts but the charge is opened and closed with a gate ie pulse with hardly any amps.

9. Kentucky

Apr 16, 2008
    Yes, as stated in the original post this is not something for those who don't understand electricity, agreed all electricity can be dangerous.

Obviously there is an endless list of "what if's" with almost anything therefore one must know their personal limitations and exposure.

However, being "Foolish" is generally an individual performing an activity with limited knowledge.

Kentucky

10. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Using lethal force to defend a CHICKEN. Thats foolish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by