-13 degrees and 35 MPH wind! Hows everyone doing?

Quote:
I agree, it IS stupid! Thats even colder than us! I just took oatmeal out to mine, poor things. I feel sorry for them all cooped up but they won't like it outside!

I feel bad for my birds too but they wouldn't go outside in this weather anyway. I piled straw on the ground in the coop and in the boxes.

When it is cold,you can see the chickens breath when they say bawk bawk. It's funny, because their beaks are so small, and little breaths come out.

We're at 40 below right now with the wind chill factored in. Tonight is going to be miserable. Not supposed to get above 10 below with wind chill until WHO knows?? Now I remember why I have a wood stove in the chicken and duck houses.
Kind of an oxymoron, but So true. For the last 8 years or so all we've really have had is the bitter cold. Has managed to keep us in drought conditions. Wyoming relies on the snow pack for alot of it's water.
We say to "warm up to snow". Others is "it got cold enough to snow". Maybe thats why Wyoming is the least populated state in the union. Between the wind,dryness and cold. I really want to lower the population by 2 more. But DH's job is way to good to let go of.LOL

Quote:
-50 in Kid Rock's Imagination really isn't all that cold!
gig.gif

We got our first snow yesterday...about 8 inches and it is still snowing today. Looks like snow today and tomorrow.

The girls are staying in the coop and not going outside...my SLW went out and checked out the snow for about a split second before darting under the coop for an hour...then she yelled until DD climbed under there to get her and So...fireplace is going, snowballs fights are constant and the chickens are staying inside the coop.
lol.png

Quote:
Well , today is Sunday Dec. 14th. I live in Lafayette, Louisiana and we had the shock of our lives Thursday when the deep South had 4 inches of snow . Last time we had any measurable snow was Feb. 1988 . We had flurries back in 2004 , BUT nothing stayed on the ground .

So , wondering what will happen once WINTER OFFICIALLY DOES START ? ( DEC. 21st. )
lau.gif

Hens and pullets did not seem to mind one bit . We added lights into both coops and Friday we picked 23 eggs .... LIGHTS DO HELP EGG PRODUCTION

Last edited:
Here in Olympia (south Puget sound, western Wa) we had a light dusting of snow last night, High today about 28. Our first winter with chickens- didn't know what to expect. Hubby went out last night and wrapped the nest box area around the coop with blankets. When I let those girls out this morning, they were walking around eating the snow!!
idunno.gif

It was -4 at sun up and -20 with wind chill . My ladies are doing good. There house is a fine 20 degrees thank the infra-red heat lamps and R-11 insulation. They are still laying so that is a good thing. Hope every ones chickens are doing good.

Quote:
My MIL and FIL live in Olympia, and my SIL lives in Shelton. My MIL and FIL have been retired for years and they now travel in their 5th wheel every year, and they leave Olympia in Nov and do not return until April. They spend most of the winter in AR now.

Back
Top Bottom