13 Week EE Injured (17 wks now) ~Vet Update Not Good~ *Graphic Pics *

I don't think you'll need to mix anything in the food. If you do, I'd just go back to mixing a little egg yolk in it honestly. That should be enough of a boost.

Sounds great on all the new progress, and I for one don't mind the novels.
smile.png
It's like being there. Though I did have to laugh at your son trying to 'help'. Cute!

That discharge from her sinuses - the reason it smells so bad, I would bet, is that it's coming from up there where there's no air. That's where the antibiotics come in. If you think about it, sinus infections in humans can be a real booger to treat. It's a shame there's not a way to flush the sinuses with saline water, but I wouldn't even begin to know how to do that with a chicken. I do know however that one year when I had a really very horrible sinus infection replete with smell, that's what finallly kicked it - flushing so that air gets up in there.

That's going to be key. When finally the continuing infection gets stopped, and the production of pus stops, and inflammation goes down, air will get in there and that will help speed up healing. It's a sort of circular effect tho - because as long as pus happens, it's harder to get that air up there. As long as air doesn't get up there, infections will be worse. /sigh I wouldn't worry too much about that though. Just let the drugs do their job. This one might have to go for four total shots, every other day. Then re-evaluate. I'll try to find something on how to clear those sinuses in the mean time.

Sounds good. I always look for her progress!

Quote:
I think that you're doing great. What i like best about this site is that most of the people here do not think of their chix as a 'number', and give each one of them the priority of good care. So great! Sounds as if you're getting results.

Definite progress tonight!! Although she still can't get her eyes open, I have noticed blinking motions and some eye movement underneath the lids. She also reacted when I turned the light on tonight. I'm very encouraged by that. I really feel that if she could just see (and close her beak all the way) she might start trying to feed herself.

As far as her feeding went tonight, she was fighting me a lot more than she has been. Actually, she was fighting me more on her cleaning too. Also encouraging.

Oh yeah, I also saw clear fluid coming from her eyes, more like tears. Seems to me that's a good sign too. That's it clear and not so goopy. There's definitely still a lot of goop and swelling, but at least it isn't all that way.

Okay, that's all for tonight...no novel this time, I'm too tired. Hope to see more improvement tomorrow.
fl.gif

Ah the fighting. So it begins
smile.png

I wonder, if she ends up having limited vision, if you could keep her feed in a bright red container all the time and teach her that's where food is. In the mean time, I'm hoping that when the goop clears so will the vision. Was there less or the same amount? Is it in the eyes now, or do you think it's up in those sinuses?

Still good news! How's her balance? Any better or the same?

So, her feeding today went pretty well, I got her to sit for the most food so far. Unfortunately, she still is not showing any interest in feeding herself. I keep dipping her beak in both water and food, and she just sits there. I sure hope she shows some interest in that soon.

As for her eyes, they are much less goopy, although the buildup up of gunk under the skin is still there. I've been massaging it as much as I can, and every once in a while another chunk will come out through her eyes.

There's definitely still a lot of smelly gunk coming from her sinuses. But I just keep cleaning it out. I'm sure it's connected to her swelling still. I'll try to take some new pics later today, so you can see the swelling I'm talking about and give me an opinion.

Her balance seems about the same. I've seen her standing and kind of backing up with her nose toward the floor. She's done this numerous times. I've also seen her trying to scratch her head and she's still starting to fall over. I guess it must not be too bad since she hasn't actually fallen. She always manages to catch herself.

If it does turn out that her vision is impaired, putting the food in a red container would be an excellent idea and one we could easily implement.

For now, I'm off to finish building my duck house, so we can get the ducks out of the chicken coop and still be safe from the opossum and any other critters that might be out there.

I wonder if any of the hard bits are hematomas, clots of blood inside? Do you think it's packed infection?

I do hope she decides to eat on her own, too. But she doesn't resist eating yeah?

I'm pretty sure they're aren't hematomas...there would be the appearance of bruising if they were and there isn't any bruising.

When I was cleaning her today, I finally saw the actual puncture wounds. I've been looking for them the whole time, so I don't know why they're finally visible. After I finished cleaning them (and took pics), I put some gentian violet right on the wounds. After I finished feeding her, I noticed that some of the purple was weeping out of her eyes. So, it's definitely all connected.

She was fighting me more with the feeding. Made it kind of difficult, but I did manage to get quite a bit in her.

Yesterday she seemed more lethargic than she has, but it was pretty warm, I'm hoping that was what was causing it.

Here are the pics I took. I marked where the actual wound is...hard to believe such a tiny little thing could cause so much trouble.

The first one is of her right side. It's not as bad as the other side.

InjuredChicken009.jpg

The second one is of her left and much worse side. You can see how the swelling (I put a circle around the swelling) is much worse on this side. Also the wound is a little more visible.

InjuredChicken010.jpg

The last one is just a front view, thought it'd be helpful to see the swelling in relation to each side.

InjuredChicken011.jpg

Any thoughts? I tried to pick up some VetRX, but the feed store I use doesn't carry it and when I stopped at the other feed store in town, they had just closed. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they carry it. Do you think this could be helpful at all?

She's still showing no sign of wanting to eat on her own yet. I think it's been a week and a half now, I sure hope she starts showing interest in food. This is really starting to take a toll on me. I was only able to tend to her once yesterday, because I was going all day...didn't stop until 1:00 in the morning and at the point, I just didn't have it in me to spend another hour and a half to two hours, taking care of her. I was feeling guilty about that, wishing she would at least drink on her own. Bleah!

Okay, I'll stop complaining now. I know she's doing better and it's just gonna take time. I know it'll be worth it to see her running around with her buddies again.

Oh, that reminds me, she's in the house, so awfully lonely, but I know I can't bring anyone in for her. I'm afraid they'd just peck at her. Would taking her outside, so she could at least hear her friends help at all? I still have the brooder that I saved just for the purpose of being a hospital if I needed one. Didn't think I'd need one so soon, or that the need would be so bad as to not be able to be outside. Thoughts?

I think that if you can keep flies away from her head, outside wouldn't be too bad. But it'll be important to keep the flies away. I think the company might cheer her up, otherwise.

I can really see, now, the swelling causing her jaw to open - there on her right side. It's at the corner of the mouth, that side, keeping it open. And the wounds look so nice now!

On the VetRx, honestly I wouldn't bother. The lack of breathing is her inflammation, not respiratory. It'd be nice to have on hand, but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

\\Hugs to you for all you've done for this girl. You're really doing outstanding!

I don't think I could do all that! You are such a devoted chicken owner!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
i dont know if someone already posted this but it might be a mink or a weasel thing, like a possum. we have had two bad attacks by a mink a year ago and this year one passed thru and murdered two female guinea hens. they go for the head, and in fact they made one of our hen's blind in one eye. the other chicken has a huge patch of bare skin where the scar was. minks can get thru small spaces, so even if you shut the door sometimes they get in.

Back
Top Bottom