14.5 wk old pullets/rooster....too early for layer pellets?

chickenbike

Songster
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
I have 3 hens and 1 rooster who are now 14.5 weeks old. I have about 2 weeks worth of pullet grower feed left. This would put them around 16.5 weeks. Is that too early to transition to layer pellets?

My farmer supply store only sells the large bags of feed, so if I buy more grower, I will have leftovers. Could I keep mixing in the leftover grower, even after 18-20 weeks when they start laying? Or should they strictly be on layer food only (once they start laying)?

I'm not being cheap as I don't mind buying more grower feed, it's just that I will only need it for 2-3 weeks and it seems a shame to waste the leftovers?

Last edited:
Don't put them on layer until they start laying.

They can't process the extra calcium and it can be deposited in the liver causing long term damage.

Buy another bag of grower, then just mix it with layer when they start laying and there won't be any waste.

I'll grab another bag of grower then. I had them on mash grower, and maybe I'll get grower pellets and use the remaining grower mash I have, to transition them over to pellets. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom