14 week birds now pecking till bloody Why

tamsflock

Songster
11 Years
Nov 13, 2008
Ashville, Alabama
I have a mixed group of Gold laced W, Polish,Naked Necks and Americanas 20 14 week olds total. Somebody is pecking birds tail feathers and more like canabalism. I am loosing one a night 3 total now. Why are they doing this are they still hungry? I have them in a 12 x12 chain link fence then they willingly all go into the smaller cage probably a 4 x 4 when it gets dark and I do shut the door so nothing will get them racoons,possums or weazels but every morning for the past 3 days they have literally pecked the rear end of the birds. I have one buff polish who's pop top looks like she has been in on the pecking. Is one of the breeds more prone to pecking is it to close quarters at night or are they still hungry? Any help would be appreciated

I think your birds are way to crowded when locked up. You only have 16 sq feet for 20 birds.
The flock should have a minimum of 2 sq feet per bird at a minimum...actually more is better. I feel they are stressed from crowding, and need more room to move around.

bigzio

Is the 12 x 12 fine for them? When they were smaller they were in the smaller cage at night it is inside the 12 x12 so I guess since they did it when they were younger that is whay they still do it. Should I just take the smaller cage out or leave the door open on it? Tha chaim link has a chicken wire top and the bottom 2 foot has like rabbit cage wire around it. I lost 12 birds last year to a weazel or something pulling just the head through the cage and leaving the body on the inside of the cage. I never found heads they were just gone.

crowding is a definate cause,, some others are protein, boredom, insect on 1 chick will make others "peck" at it to get the insect, then that causes a spot,, which they all see, AND PECK AT, lol,, then blood,, and so on...thick chunked fruit with the skin on,, like 6 or so big pieces, keeps them pretty busy
wink.png

and their diet is a big thing too.

Yep the 12x12 area is enough room, however they should have some kind of shelter to roost and lay eggs and to get out of bad weather.
Maybe a coop added to the outside of the pen area would be a good solution.

The 3 main things the flock needs is food, water, and dry shelter.

bigzio

Thank you for all the help. I will not close the door on them tonight and see how that goes. 5 polish like to roost on top of the smaller cage. Two will roost on the poles we have going through the corners of the cage but the others all like being inside the smaller cage. Some roost on the bar we have in there and the others just sleep on the ground.
I had a pen on the outside of the 12x 12 but something pulled the hook right out of the wood and got 4 birds that day.

There are some anti-pick sprays you could try. Also if you hang a cabbage for them to play pinata with that will encourage them to peck it instead of each other. Or like someone else said, apples keep them busy too.

Cabbage Pinata sounds like a good idea. I didn't close the door on the inner cage. But they were all inside it but 5 so I let them be if someone starts pecking they can run out to get away since the door isn't closed.

Back
Top Bottom