14 wk old, fully feathered, bantam chicks in 30 degree night temps.

The Accidental Coop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Central East Coast of Florida
Can my 14 week old bantam (3) chicks stay in their hen house during 30 degree night time lows without a light or heat source? Their house is a small A-frame with an open front. It is open into a very secure run, so no predators can easily get them. I just put a light out in their coop to try to keep the temp a little warmer but noticed the chicks came out and began to run around in the coop. I guess they think it is morning. I am afraid the predators will see them, try very hard to get into the coop during the night and they just may succeed.

Thank you for any pointers you can give....Florida does not have many nights like this!

Do you notice them really huddling together?? You said it's an open front, it there anything like a tarp or something that you can put over the opening so they can get out but most of the wind stays out??

No wind tonight. They are huddled together in the back of the a-frame on pine shavings. The temp probably won't dip into the thirties until after midnight and closer to dawn.

The a-frame is small with an opening of only about 2 feet across the bottom width and one foot at the most tall. After reading you post I went out and placed a board over half of the opening and added more pine chips for a cozy bed.

Last edited:
I'm in florida and have only 4 d'uccles...I did put a 60 watt in there tonight (I only do this if it is supposed to go below 30 degrees) but I think they would have been ok, especially if you have more than I do...

I've been told a number of times that more chickens die from overheating than from cold. Storey's Guide says that adult chickens generate about 130 BTUs per hour of heat, so keeping an adult with feathers cool can be more of a need than keeping them warm.

It sounds like they do not need a heat lamp, but would probably appreciate and use a heat source if it is particularly chilly at night.

wink.png

Back
Top Bottom