14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
Started with 1 dozen. Pulled a dud after 7 days. Checked again yesterday, as there was one other that I was iffy on (I had a small crack that I could only see when candeling), and sure enough, I pulled 3 more!! It's so sad when they start to develop and Peter out after a week or so.

Everyone else is doing well, swimming around like it's the olympics!!

Day 10!

Lots of contests!
2023  EHAL Contests.png

:jumpy🐥🐣🐤14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along🐤🐣🐥 :jumpy

Click on a picture to enter the contest!

⬇️ ⬇️ ⬇️
2023 Cutest baby fowl photo contest.pngbrinsea-png.png
3.png5.png
4.png2023 Hatching Fowl Photo Contest.png
Final Natural Egg.pngeaster-guess-how-many-eggs-will-be-set2-jpg-jpg.jpg
easter-farthest-shipped-eggs2.jpgNational Poultry Day.png
guess-when-byc-will-hit-26-million-messages-_-png.pngcount-the-easter-bunnys-candies_green-png.png

If you have not joined the fun in the 14th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along thread, please drop by and say hello here!

I caved and I candled. Pulled clears and a couple quitters. I was bummed to have missed one egg was cracked before setting because it was developing nicely but no way was it going to make it through. I also bobbled the last one and it broke on the table and that one was developing too. Considering my rooster is still quite young and lost part of 2 toes to frostbite before I got him, looking good.

I kinda did, taking 'samples' from the ones that were set on Saturday. Even though it's only day three, I was able to see development in all those I checked!

This is what I'm going to end up doing in a couple of days. I have another dozen to set, and no room in the incubator until batch one hatches. And I want to set these so they hatch on my grandson's birthday!

Which brings me to my next dilemma: I have ONE incubator. What do I do for lockdown??!
Wait until you see the first pip and then increase humidity and set the eggs for hatching.

When the first batch is through hatching, you can lower the humidity until the next batch is ready to hatch.

While not ideal, it works.

I caved and I candled. Pulled clears and a couple quitters. I was bummed to have missed one egg was cracked before setting because it was developing nicely but no way was it going to make it through. I also bobbled the last one and it broke on the table and that one was developing too. Considering my rooster is still quite young and lost part of 2 toes to frostbite before I got him, looking good.
If you haven't gotten rid of the cracked one yet, try dripping a bit of melted wax on the crack. Others have done this and the egg came through fine and hatched out perfectly.

I candled again today…..looks like we may have started draw-down but no internal pips yet so hopefully, they will wait a few more days before any hatch 😂
RK was completely out of any duck starter and they don’t carry any all-flock crumble so I may have to grind up pellets or look somewhere else :th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom