15 Month Old Hens Not Laying

chickenman111

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 16, 2012
Here, there, and everywhere
I have 17 hens. 9 Dominiques, 8 Rhode Island Reds, and they haven't layed any eggs for 7 weeks. I did get 1 a week ago. Their 15 months old. They had lost back feathers from roosters mounting them and I switched them to eating mainly fodder ( half barley half field peas ).Once they starfed eating fodder they began growing feathers back. Now their feathers are grown back and only the 1 egg.
Should I give them sunflower seed fodder, more calcium. please help.

I have 17 hens. 9 Dominiques, 8 Rhode Island Reds, and they haven't layed any eggs for 7 weeks. I did get 1 a week ago. Their 15 months old. They had lost back feathers from roosters mounting them and I switched them to eating mainly fodder ( half barley half field peas ).Once they starfed eating fodder they began growing feathers back. Now their feathers are grown back and only the 1 egg.
Should I give them sunflower seed fodder, more calcium. please help.

It seems pretty clear that your chickens are molting. I do not think the change in feed caused the feathers to grow back. You just changed feeds in the middle of the process.

You said it has been 7 weeks without eggs (except 1 egg). Hopefully your hens will soon start laying regularly again.

Back
Top Bottom