16 x 12 Coop

Cryss

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey
I used a large brush, I think it’s called a mason paint brush. Something like that. I put down my first yucky layer. About 2 weeks later I used an old kitchen broom for the second coat. That gave me an excuse for buying a new broom. Let me tell you it looks....ugly as sin. But it’s great stuff and no one sees it (much) once I dumped a nice deep layer of pine shavings on top. Ok some peeks over the wall line, but the ladies scratching throws shavings around enough it doesn’t matter. LOL

jthornton

Crowing
Aug 30, 2017
Poplar Bluff, MO
My Coop
My Coop
Yea I think I'm going to apply BJ57 before getting the chicks. We have been having some unnaturally warm days here. I assume if it sits by the stove in the machine shop to warm up it might help on cooler days... sometimes the machine shop gets pretty warm when I put too much wood in the stove.

JT

Ted Brown

Songster
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Yea I think I'm going to apply BJ57 before getting the chicks. We have been having some unnaturally warm days here. I assume if it sits by the stove in the machine shop to warm up it might help on cooler days... sometimes the machine shop gets pretty warm when I put too much wood in the stove.

JT
Warming the BJ57 and possibly the room will work. Get yourself the long metal paint stir gizomo and use a drill to mix it well. Once that is done, get a paint roller and a pole, stick it in and have at it. It rolls out easily, use a rough brush to do the edges as you progress. It dries quickly to a flat finish that is tough and durable. I only needed one coat, well worth the effort!.

Cryss

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Northwest New Jersey

JT
For the BJ57to set up and dry needs to have a warm dry atmosphere for at least two weeks as I recall. Your unseasonably warm temperatures may change before that. You might want to wait for a warmer season.

Last edited:

Ted Brown

Songster
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
... Heading to Cuba tomorrow to install a poka-yoke at a factory that makes handles for ovens. Oh that's Cuba Missouri...

JT
Cuba in January, wow!! And then I read your qualifier...

I had never seen "poka-yoke" before, had to look it up. Great word and even better concept, I am guessing you have a few installed in your chicken keeping set-up?

Top Bottom