16 x 12 Coop

Pics
I used a large brush, I think it’s called a mason paint brush. Something like that. I put down my first yucky layer. About 2 weeks later I used an old kitchen broom for the second coat. That gave me an excuse for buying a new broom. Let me tell you it looks....ugly as sin. But it’s great stuff and no one sees it (much) once I dumped a nice deep layer of pine shavings on top. Ok some peeks over the wall line, but the ladies scratching throws shavings around enough it doesn’t matter. LOL

Yea I think I'm going to apply BJ57 before getting the chicks. We have been having some unnaturally warm days here. I assume if it sits by the stove in the machine shop to warm up it might help on cooler days... sometimes the machine shop gets pretty warm when I put too much wood in the stove.

JT

Yea I think I'm going to apply BJ57 before getting the chicks. We have been having some unnaturally warm days here. I assume if it sits by the stove in the machine shop to warm up it might help on cooler days... sometimes the machine shop gets pretty warm when I put too much wood in the stove.

JT

Warming the BJ57 and possibly the room will work. Get yourself the long metal paint stir gizomo and use a drill to mix it well. Once that is done, get a paint roller and a pole, stick it in and have at it. It rolls out easily, use a rough brush to do the edges as you progress. It dries quickly to a flat finish that is tough and durable. I only needed one coat, well worth the effort!.

JT
For the BJ57to set up and dry needs to have a warm dry atmosphere for at least two weeks as I recall. Your unseasonably warm temperatures may change before that. You might want to wait for a warmer season.

Last edited:
I got the door ready for HC but it will be a couple of days before I can get back to chicken work... gotta do some paying work. Heading to Cuba tomorrow to install a poka-yoke at a factory that makes handles for ovens. Oh that's Cuba Missouri...

coop-deux-04.jpg

JT

... Heading to Cuba tomorrow to install a poka-yoke at a factory that makes handles for ovens. Oh that's Cuba Missouri...

JT

Cuba in January, wow!! And then I read your qualifier...

I had never seen "poka-yoke" before, had to look it up. Great word and even better concept, I am guessing you have a few installed in your chicken keeping set-up?

Back
Top Bottom