18 week old hen, injured leg?

The green poop could be from poor nutrition, as she is on chick feed that only has proper nutrition for up to 16 weeks of age.
It isn't true that being on chick feed would result in poor nutrition. Quite the opposite I think it's superior in nutrients. It has more protein to support feather and muscle growth. They only thing it is lacking in for birds that are older... and even then I mean laying... is calcium. Which can be provided on the side in the form of oyster shell in most cases. It does usually have 22% protein. Which might be more than you prefer long term. But I have seen some "starter" feeds with 18% even. Hate the misleading labels but agree they are meant to be guidelines.

I too feed flock raiser with 20% protein and oyster shell on the side to my whole flock.

are looking for vitamins.
The longer you wait the less chance of recovery for something like paraysis. :( I don't think that's your real issue unfortunately. But did you find any B1 or B6? Any chance she has a tick on her somewhere?

Hope she pulls through. :fl

Is she still eating and drinking? She might love a little scrambled egg! Good nutrients there and easy to digest. :)

Good news!!! Her paralysis has worn off. She can now move her leg and toes! The vitamins and adult hen food helped a lot! Sadly, she still seems to have some leg problems. She lays with the one leg sticking out in front of her and seems to have discomfort when trying to move it. I felt the bones, and couldn't feel any swelling or anything off with her bones. Could it be dislocated? I'm definitely going to look into a chicken sling for her. I'm glad she's recovered this far, though! Thank you, everyone, you all have been such a huge help!

Good news!!! Her paralysis has worn off. She can now move her leg and toes! The vitamins and adult hen food helped a lot! Sadly, she still seems to have some leg problems. She lays with the one leg sticking out in front of her and seems to have discomfort when trying to move it. I felt the bones, and couldn't feel any swelling or anything off with her bones. Could it be dislocated? I'm definitely going to look into a chicken sling for her. I'm glad she's recovered this far, though! Thank you, everyone, you all have been such a huge help!

I'm glad to hear she seems to be improving. Do you have any photos of how she is laying down or a video of her?

Unfortunately, the symptoms you are describing sounds like Marek's. Some birds can eventually recover, but they are carriers of the virus (your flock has already been exposed). It's possible that she may get better, then relapse when she begins to lay eggs or goes through her adult molt. Then again, she may never have anymore problems - such a frustrating and confusing disease.

I do recommend that you read this article in it's entirety - very good information from a member who has Marek's in their flock. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
Making a sling for her is a good idea. Also if it's not too cold, getting her outside for a few hours of sunshine and just to see other chickens may prove to helpful as well.

Thank you for the update, please keep us posted.

Sorry for not posting for a while. She sadly didn't make it. We took her to the vet, and he told us that she likely had a spine injury from the roo. We ended up putting her down since we didn't want her suffering anymore. She would rarely wake up, so I would have to groom her and ruffle her feathers for her to wake up to eat or drink. I was there for her the entire time and gave her comfort in her last moments. She nuzzled my hand before she got too weak. I still feel bad and daily apologize to her through prayers, hoping that it's what she would've wanted. I'm sure she's feeling better now.

I'm so sorry to read that you lost her.
I'm afraid that I'm very sceptical of your vet's diagnosis. Marek's is an extremely common and widespread disease, she was displaying symptoms of it (one leg stuck out in front is a classic symptom), she was at an age when Marek's is prone to break out and adolescent cockerels harassing young pullets is one of the commonest triggers for it. As someone who has butchered and processed chickens I can tell you that their spines are incredibly strong and the likelihood of a cockerel being able to do enough damage to injure her without there being a very obvious wound is slim to none.
Unless your vet is experienced with poultry and very few are, they probably don't even know about Marek's disease.
Please bear this in mind if you have any other birds with unexplained lameness or neurological symptoms or even respiratory problems.

I wish you luck with your remaining flock.

Sorry for not posting for a while. She sadly didn't make it. We took her to the vet, and he told us that she likely had a spine injury from the roo. We ended up putting her down since we didn't want her suffering anymore. She would rarely wake up, so I would have to groom her and ruffle her feathers for her to wake up to eat or drink. I was there for her the entire time and gave her comfort in her last moments. She nuzzled my hand before she got too weak. I still feel bad and daily apologize to her through prayers, hoping that it's what she would've wanted. I'm sure she's feeling better now.

I'm very sorry for your loss:hugs

Putting one out of it's misery is always a hard decision to make, but by your description she was most likely suffering and in pain. Being with her during her final moments, I'm sure brought comfort. I'm so sorry.

Back
Top Bottom