19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

I'm right there with the rest of ya'll. I have 2 buff orpingtons and they are 19.5 weeks old. One of them (Henrietta) has a huge, red comb. It's so big that it's flopping over to one side and it's been that way for about 4 weeks now. She has also been squatting for me all week. WHERE ARE THE EGGS???

My other girl's (Sally) comb just started to turn bright red, but it's still pretty small, so I'm not expecting anything out of her for awhile yet.

They both stay in an enclosed run during the day and only free-range when I'm working in the garden nearby, so I think if Henrietta had laid an egg I would have found it. The waiting is just about to kill me!

I'm thinking that you guys are a little early in looking for that first egg. Although, some hens will lay before 20 weeks, most start at 24 - 28 weeks old.

Keep looking for that first egg...the great thing is, it will eventually be there :)

I'm thinking that you guys are a little early in looking for that first egg. Although, some hens will lay before 20 weeks, most start at 24 - 28 weeks old.

Keep looking for that first egg...the great thing is, it will eventually be there :)
I don't know why I wouldn't look
hu.gif
It's too exciting!!

I'm right there with the rest of ya'll. I have 2 buff orpingtons and they are 19.5 weeks old. One of them (Henrietta) has a huge, red comb. It's so big that it's flopping over to one side and it's been that way for about 4 weeks now. She has also been squatting for me all week. WHERE ARE THE EGGS???

My other girl's (Sally) comb just started to turn bright red, but it's still pretty small, so I'm not expecting anything out of her for awhile yet.

They both stay in an enclosed run during the day and only free-range when I'm working in the garden nearby, so I think if Henrietta had laid an egg I would have found it. The waiting is just about to kill me!
Yep yep yep, My Orphington has a bright red face waddles and a medium sized comb, been squatting for a few days.. My New Hampshire Red has a floppy comb for about 2 weeks and floppy waddles. We even heard the egg song yesterday
love.gif
I'd be surprised if they didn't lay in the next couple weeks..

So I read on here that hens like privacy when laying. So I closed up the door on there coop which has been open the past couple weeks. So I come home today and see one of my reds standing on top the steps leading up to the entrance where the nesting boxes are. I unlatched the door and found 2 large eggs. Much larger then previous 2 eggs. 1 light brown and a large olive green colored egg laying next two 3 golf balls! Oh on squatting both my black sex links will squat. I have a lab who cant resist chasing the hens around the yard a couple times a day. Lately when she chases them around they just squat down in front of her! Curious to see if eggs come tomorrow.

So I read on here that hens like privacy when laying. So I closed up the door on there coop which has been open the past couple weeks. So I come home today and see one of my reds standing on top the steps leading up to the entrance where the nesting boxes are. I unlatched the door and found 2 large eggs. Much larger then previous 2 eggs. 1 light brown and a large olive green colored egg laying next two 3 golf balls! Oh on squatting both my black sex links will squat. I have a lab who cant resist chasing the hens around the yard a couple times a day. Lately when she chases them around they just squat down in front of her! Curious to see if eggs come tomorrow.
That's fantastic!
thumbsup.gif

My buff orps are 19 weeks and I've been looking for eggs everyday, but after reading the post above, I'll give my girls more time. I don't believe there has been any squatting, but don't really know what that looks like. Guess I'll know it when I see it. I was also glad to read about the lg red floppy comb. I was really worried that one of mine was a roo, since the other twos combs aren't nearly as big. This is my first experience with chickens.... it's been fun.

My BFF's pullets waited most of the winter last year to lay. She was so excited to have more eggs, but her hens molted in the fall and her March pullets didn't start laying until the hens started back up. I am hoping mine don't pull the same trick. I have 3 hens laying and 5 14 week old pullets... due to lay about the same time the hens should molt.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom