1st EGG

gsim

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
East Tennessee
Got my first egg yesterday. Have 24 pullets, 4 breeds, large brown-egg producing. Not sure which one, but suspect was a buff comet. It was medium size, weak shell, and looked as if the bird laid it while on the roost as it was under the roost, broken. (the buffs usually congregate there for whatever reason.) A buff comet was investigating it when I entered coop and saw it. Looked as if yoke was still intact, so I may have prevented a bird becoming an egg-eater?

THING IS, MY BIRDS ARE ONLY 16 WEEKS OLD, albeit they seem large for their ages except for three runts. I have always fed them garden scraps since they were a week old along with Dumor chick feed crumbles at that time.

16 weeks is on the young side to start laying, but not too young. AND the others will be laying soon
D.gif

--Hugh

Congrats....now it just needs some fine tuning....Offer oyster shell in a littl dish, the hens that need to supplement will eat it. Make sure you have nestboxes ready, maybe put some fake eggs in them to 'invite' her to lay there instead on the roost...
wee.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom