1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 baby chicks dead!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigmuddyfoot, Mar 7, 2016.

1. bigmuddyfoot

bigmuddyfoot Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    NE Oklahoma
    Help!

I bought 20 chicks buff orpington and ameraucana chickens 3 weeks ago. So far I have lost 2 buffs i lass then 2 weeks. I have posted a video of what they did just before they die. Sorry kinda crude but I need to find out what is going on.
    I'm wondering if there is a disease going through the flock. My concern is my other 12 chickens I have out side (the chicks are in the garage)

Here is the link to the YouTube video

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Can you post pics of your brooder set up? do your chicks have enough space to get completely out from under the heat?

3. bigmuddyfoot

Apr 6, 2015
    NE Oklahoma
    Yes they have more then enough room. It's about 4 x 4 and the heat lamp is in one corner and there food and water are in the other area. I'm at work right now I'm waiting on the wife to send me pictures will post when I get them

4. bigmuddyfoot

Apr 6, 2015
    NE Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Here is picture of there crib right now. I just got home and they all seam ok. For the moment.

5. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Could you describe in more detail what is going on? I'm at work so a link to a youtube video does not help. Though to be honest, I likely wouldn't click on it anyway since I'm wary of links from anyone I don't know.

Personally, without knowing how many chicks you have, I'd have given them more space. Anyway, more details would help. Age, conditions, observances of the way they acted prior and during falling ill.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

We need to know what your chicks were doing as soon as you noticed them being sick. How old was he chick in the video?

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What is the temperature in the brooder now?

8. bigmuddyfoot

Apr 6, 2015
    NE Oklahoma
    They are completely normal just get up one morning and bam just like that. The brooter temp is at least 75f I really don't know the exact temperature but under the heat lamp it's good and warm.

9. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    That sounds awfully cool. It should be 95 for week one, then lower it 5 degrees each week until fully feathered.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  10. bigmuddyfoot

Apr 6, 2015
    NE Oklahoma
    That would only be 10 digrees difference from what I have and I know it's in the high 70s. Not saying it's not it jus think there is something else too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by