2 boys keep fighting, rooster and cockerel, no blood so ok?

I have 2 silkie roosters who fight all the time. So much so, half of their necks are naked. No blood has ever been drawn yet. It's been going on for a couple years.

Planning on knocking down the flock abit, & expanding the coop eventually.

Well this morning I see blood on Biscuits (cockerel) comb, I stopped the fight and will have to arrange an alternative solution I think.
Cookie (rooster) I think instigates all the fights, Biscuit is more docile.

I would rather have just one flock @Folly's place - my infertile rooster and cockerel got along fine but rooster was head of the flock and wouldn't allow cockerel to mate. So now the change, but the other 2 boys won't get along 😩

I don't have a spare coop, only another coop with my infertile rooster and a hen for company.. I probably should cull infertile rooster and put Cookie back in that coop.
I only cull when a chicken is sick so I don't know if I can bring myself to cull Rooster for just being a rooster, although an infertile one for some reason. This will be difficult, and I haven't culled one that big either so I hope the broomstick method works ok, if I can bring myself to do it.

So sorry, it's miserable at times, especially when it's about nice birds that just don't fit with your goals, and can't get along together.
Is your cockerel too closely related to your hens, or why get another outside bird? Can he go back? Pick the best one for your hens.
Mary

So sorry, it's miserable at times, especially when it's about nice birds that just don't fit with your goals, and can't get along together.
Is your cockerel too closely related to your hens, or why get another outside bird? Can he go back? Pick the best one for your hens.
Mary
Rooster was from someone else I got him at 5 months old, he is now over 3 yrs old and did produce many offspring but last year only 1 hatch fertile and none since. He can't go back, he was freebe.
Rooster Cookie is his son, as is Biscuit cockerel. I can't decide which one I like the best for looks and personality. I can't tell which the hens like better either - Cookie usually roosts on his own, so does this indicate the hens like Biscuit more?

Biscuit IMG_20210915_110751.jpg

Cookie IMG_20210914_111306.jpg

Biscuit started crowing during the day a few times, not in the morning though or night.
It's very quiet without the other 2 boys, my neighbours are appreciating the undisturbed sleep! 😂
My older hens do not accept him and often roost in the coop instead of coming out 😞 hopefully they'll come round to his good looks! 😄 I do really want offspring from them!

Back
Top Bottom