2 day old chick got away

chimkentender

Chirping
Oct 19, 2019
I have 2 new chicks in the coop. Hatched by a great momma who talks to them and shows them how to eat etc... she doesn't get down out of the nesting box for anything so I take her out once a day to poop and Ive been feeding her the same snacks everyone else gets and also giving her food and water. The nesting box is up higher, maybe 18 inches off of the ground. I came home at 4ish yesterday and went to check on them. One chick was in the yard about 50 ft from the coop hiding in the grass. I could hear her chirping so loud. So I picked her up and took her back to the nesting box. I got a plastic tote and put momma and her babies in it so the babies cant get out but momma could if she wanted to. I put a mesh top on it but cut an entry way into the top for her to get in or out and also for the family to have some privacy. She tucked them in (along with 4 more eggs that look pretty good) and she seems content with her new home. I work today and I couldn't risk the babies getting out and being out after dark or really at all right now, its about 50 degrees (F) where I am. Im planning to make a chicken jail tomorrow, and then move her and another broody that's got 4 eggs that haven't hatched yet. Should I make two separate rooms or can they share responsibilities? If the other hens and roo can get into the tote are they safe for today? I could move them into the garage if I need to. My flock is a mix of RIR and Black australorp, the australorps are the broodies and the RIR is the roo, so my chicks are mutts (they are super cute mutts though so I am not complaining.)
Is momma going to protect them? will a chicken try hard to get into the box? I suppose they could move the lid or climb into the hole on top of the mom.
Should the chicken jail have two rooms?
The escapee is pictured.

Attachments

• 3E5CDE91-9E14-4332-B189-E5BED1EF8961.jpeg
    3E5CDE91-9E14-4332-B189-E5BED1EF8961.jpeg
    371.9 KB · Views: 10
  • C5D25620-5C31-4438-B7C6-C8386E159DFA.jpeg
    C5D25620-5C31-4438-B7C6-C8386E159DFA.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I have 2 new chicks in the coop. Hatched by a great momma who talks to them and shows them how to eat etc... she doesn't get down out of the nesting box for anything so I take her out once a day to poop and Ive been feeding her the same snacks everyone else gets and also giving her food and water. The nesting box is up higher, maybe 18 inches off of the ground. I came home at 4ish yesterday and went to check on them. One chick was in the yard about 50 ft from the coop hiding in the grass. I could hear her chirping so loud. So I picked her up and took her back to the nesting box. I got a plastic tote and put momma and her babies in it so the babies cant get out but momma could if she wanted to. I put a mesh top on it but cut an entry way into the top for her to get in or out and also for the family to have some privacy. She tucked them in (along with 4 more eggs that look pretty good) and she seems content with her new home. I work today and I couldn't risk the babies getting out and being out after dark or really at all right now, its about 50 degrees (F) where I am. Im planning to make a chicken jail tomorrow, and then move her and another broody that's got 4 eggs that haven't hatched yet. Should I make two separate rooms or can they share responsibilities? If the other hens and roo can get into the tote are they safe for today? I could move them into the garage if I need to. My flock is a mix of RIR and Black australorp, the australorps are the broodies and the RIR is the roo, so my chicks are mutts (they are super cute mutts though so I am not complaining.)
Is momma going to protect them? will a chicken try hard to get into the box? I suppose they could move the lid or climb into the hole on top of the mom.
Should the chicken jail have two rooms?
The escapee is pictured.
Keep your broodies separate, sometimes they get along ok but sometimes they will kill the chicks.
Mama should take care of them, no sensible chicken will mess with a broody and her chicks :) In general, Australorp ans RIRs make good parents.

Hi and :welcome Congratulations on your chicks!:jumpy I would make sure only mamma had access to the chicks. I have had hens kill chicks that were not theirs. If you can put them in the garage I would,that's the safest option right now.

Back
Top Bottom