2 day old chick listless and not drinking/eating

WYOwhy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
Wyoming
I got a shipment of 25 chicks in the mail yesterday morning. One was DOA. The rest seemed fine and healthy. My friend's kids picked out four more chicks at the feed store yesterday afternoon and she couldn't resist buying them, so she brought them over to add to my brooder.

Last night, one of her new chicks was odd - isolating itself and crashing around awkwardly. One of my chicks was a little less active but not terribly so. This morning both her odd chick and my less active chick were snuggled together and looking a little listless but still alright. Tonight her odd chick was dead and my little chick-companion was extremely listless.

Now, my listless chick doesn't seem to stand up much, I'm not sure she if she has taken any food or water on her own. I moved her into an isolation box in the house (the brooder is in the garage) and set her up with sugar water and a heat lamp. She peeped a bit when I moved her and seemed grateful for the heat. She has drank about 6 drops of sugar water from a dropper, which she sat up and fought for, but she won't drink on her own at all. She mostly lays completely still and silent on her belly and breathes tiny shallow breaths.

Is there any hope for my chick? Is there something else I should be doing? Are her chick-illnesses a risk to me or my cats and dog in the house?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom