2 day old chick with spraddle leg?

I tried making him a chair, and he would kick around and chirp and try to get out, then go completely limp. I took him out and he stopped freaking out. So I tried making the hobbles. He couldn’t stand, and I tried to help him but when I let go he fell over and layed on his back. I’m concerned that if I leave him with either one of these he’s going to get hurt. What if I didn’t do anything? Is there any chance he will learn to walk? He seems a lot happier just wiggling around the brooder.

If you do nothing, he'll never get the muscle to support himself and will continue "wiggling around." Worse, his bones will grow in that position, and you'll never be able to fix it.

The chance of his "growing out of it" is nonexistant. He simply can't move his legs into a position in which they can grow properly.

I'm sorry, but sometimes you really do have to be cruel to be kind. Have you considered wrapping him in a towel to immobilise him while he's wearing the splint?

Four days is generally considered the limit for easily healing a chick with spraddle leg. After that, it just gets more and more difficult.
So should I put the split on his leg and wrap him up in a towel? ( try to make it as natural as possible ) how long do I leave him like that for? And he can walk a little bit normally, but for the most part he has trouble getting up, and when he sits his legs splay to the side.

The problem with leaving him alone wiggling around, is that his legs will not ever come together. Splay leg in older chicks cannot be fixed. His legs look wider than most, so he might not improve if he has hip problems. But vitamins, trying to work with him, and whatever you can do may help eventually. Handling him under the heat and trying the hobbles is what I would do.
I got some vitamin-boost powder that you mix with their water, and since then he’s doing much better. He can take a few steps normally, but he has trouble getting up and he gets exhausted and lays down with his legs splayed

Maybe have someone help you apply the brace? Or just use tough love, and make it happen. He will eventually get exhausted from struggling, and will get easier to work with.
Once my chick had the brace on, he didn’t even notice it.

When I woke up this morning he had passed away...

Now I have one baby quail left. He is screaming and I feel so bad. What can I do? My Quails aren’t laying yet so I can’t hatch another. And I don’t know many people around me that have Quails :( please help!

Back
Top Bottom