2 hens and rooster on nest- 1 baby kicked out-help!

I did try to incubate their eggs right before they went broody, without much sucess. Only 2 out of 12 hatched. They seemed fine, then died after 5 and 6 days. One started laying on her back, then she would get up and act normal... until the end. I tried everything to save them. It was 90 degrees out and very humid. Should I have had the temp lower than 95 degrees to compensate for the humidity?

When chicks have defects that we can't see we search for causes that may point to it being our fault. Even in 90 degree weather they needed the heat of a heat lamp and you provided that. I don't think there was anything you could have done to save them.

Try separating the hens after you have seen the rooster mating them. Or figure out a way to mark and keep their eggs separate so that you know without a doubt which eggs belong to which hen. Try another batch and see if one set has more vigor than the other.

With this many deaths I think it might be way more than pullet eggs and/or failure to thrive going on with your trio's hatchlings.

I checked on them today and saw a dead chick in the nest box. I'm not sure if I did the right thing, but a few hours later, I kicked out the hens, so I could clean out the nest. I just couldn't let them sit on dead chicks. There was one more dead chick. They looked perfectly normal. I took the rest of the eggs and put in incubator. A couple were pipping. The eggs are kinda dirty, from them taking dust baths in sand. Maybe thats the problem? How will the hens act without eggs? Should I put some fake ones in the nest?Oh, and if by some miracle the eggs hatch, should I put them under the hens?

I wouldn't. Brood them yourself and see how they survive and what their initial health is like. Don't do anything for the hens. Lock them out of the nest and break them now. You may have bad mothers and won't be able to trust them with chicks at all.

Well , the 2 eggs hatched and died the next day. So at least I know the other chickens didn't kill them. 3 more hatched, one died the next day, and I now have 2 out of the incubator. They are about 48 hrs. They seemed healthy, but now one is sleeping on her back, just like the first ones did, that died after 5 days. Could this happen if the hen and rooster are siblings? Should I post this on emergencies/illnes? I would like to know if anyone else has had a similiar experience.

Im sorry for your losses
hugs.gif
I have not had any situation like this...but just a thought. You mentioned that they were young hens. They arent by chance still on chick starter are they? Other then that Im cluless. Lots of smart people here, hopefully someone can offer more info!

Oh..and your rooster probably crawled into the nest box to be with his ladies. If its just the 3 or him, he probably felt he was being ignored or missing out on something.
D.gif

Shannon

Last edited:
Get the chicks off their back. They could have lung problems and this will make it worse. Their lings are in nestled into their back rib bones.

I am sorry you lost the others.

What are your hens eating? You might want to put them on a regemine of game bird feed to really boost them nutritionally before trying to hatch more eggs. Not all feeds are created equal and some feeds lack essentail meat proteins that fowl need. I would say a few weeks of a better diet then try again with a few eggs.

As far as sibling fowl - line breeding is completely acceptable in fowl. However, I have to question how long the same stock had been bred to get your trio. You may want to try and secure chicks or eggs from another bloodline to breed back and try to stregthen your own lines.

They are eating Dumor 16% laying feed. Also, they have oyster shells. So far today, the chick has not been on it's back. I am puttting Vi-tal in their water and feeding them egg yolk mash, which they love. They seem ok, but I am trying not to get my hopes up. I e-mailed the lady I got the chickens from to get info about their stock, but she wasn't much help. I will get the game bird feed and try again in the fall. Thanks for all the help, Nancy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom