2 incubators set now to hatch a week apart in Novemeber

Pics

LTAY1946

Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
Sep 8, 2022
South Alabama
Sunday the first one started will be candled and bad eggs discarded and fresh eggs put in to take there place. I have a third incubator setup as a hatcher and it will be available for 4 different hatch dates as to maximize the efficiency of the equipment. They will be brooded out doors in a well covered and heated hoop coop just for brooding. Snake and rat proof as well as protected from the larger predators. We can't control storms and that is our biggest risk.

2 days before I do a first candle. I'd be anxious if this was a first try at this. This time I knew going in what to expect and that the probability of a high hatch rate is nil. 4 chicks out of dozen eggs is a win win compared to feeding them back to the hens. I will not be really happy with 10-14 chicks but that will be nothing to be upset with. With two 41 egg incubators cooking the reality is an increase of 25 new birds and 12 new pullets to breed is one more coop of breeders.

Last edited:
Tomorrow night we candle... Now I am a little anxious. If the eggs should mostly be good and developing then I need to put another batch of eggs in a third incubator.... This might get complicated for a simple mind.

halz.PNG

I have been stager hatching all hatching season, these 2 bigger chicks are the smallest of one of the batches, they are now with my new chicks. I like using some small olders to raise babies.

View attachment 3675667
I have been stager hatching all hatching season, these 2 bigger chicks are the smallest of one of the batches, they are now with my new chicks. I like using some small olders to raise babies.
I'm going to try using chicks to raise babies. I'd never thought about that. Looks to me like they are making the little one feel secure having older siblings with them.

Well I'm kind of shocked. I was prepared to have very few of those eggs viable. I removed only 3 of the 41. Others had veins. I may hatch over 30 this time. Not enough removed to fill in some new eggs. Looks like I'll have to start incubator #3.

Well I'm kind of shocked. I was prepared to have very few of those eggs viable. I removed only 3 of the 41. Others had veins. I may hatch over 30 this time. Not enough removed to fill in some new eggs. Looks like I'll have to start incubator #3.
Congrats on a higher than anticipated % development!!

That will be a lot of chicks, I hope!

I also stagger hatch all summer. I just don’t really want to fuss w my outdoor brooder once the weather gets gross here in the PNW

I match up turkey poults and ducklings at hatch and it works great.

The ducklings make sure the turkeys drink, the turkeys make sure the ducklings eat, the Welshie ducklings are bigger at hatch than the poults, and teach the poults manners (they just run them over is someone is being a pecker lol)

Yes, it is more of a mess / more work w the mess of the ducklings, but almost everything that I hatch is pre sold, so they are separated in a few days when their people come for them :)

My key to having chicks get along, is to have more younger chicks than older chicks. Then one little one will not get pecked, also it is best if you can to have 2 smaller older chicks rather than just one. One would realize, all his other friends are gone and just churp for them.

Back
Top Bottom