2 incubators set now to hatch a week apart in Novemeber

Pics

LTAY1946

Chicken Wrangler
Sep 8, 2022
South Alabama
Sunday the first one started will be candled and bad eggs discarded and fresh eggs put in to take there place. I have a third incubator setup as a hatcher and it will be available for 4 different hatch dates as to maximize the efficiency of the equipment. They will be brooded out doors in a well covered and heated hoop coop just for brooding. Snake and rat proof as well as protected from the larger predators. We can't control storms and that is our biggest risk.

I'm going to have to stop with these that are in incubation now I'm afraid. I fell while out doing chores yesterday after noon and have 2 broken ribs. The ER doc told me to expect to be immobile for 6 to 8 weeks. Searching for help now to help with daily existing chores plus the reassembly of the homemade brooders we have.

Good morning everyone and have a great day.

I've decided not to set more eggs for at least a month. It just wouldn't be fair to hatch little ones and not be able to give them the care they need. Once my rib bones are healed I'll start hatching again. I have to put the kids first ahead of my wants.

2 days before I do a first candle. I'd be anxious if this was a first try at this. This time I knew going in what to expect and that the probability of a high hatch rate is nil. 4 chicks out of dozen eggs is a win win compared to feeding them back to the hens. I will not be really happy with 10-14 chicks but that will be nothing to be upset with. With two 41 egg incubators cooking the reality is an increase of 25 new birds and 12 new pullets to breed is one more coop of breeders.

Last edited:
halz.PNG

I have been stager hatching all hatching season, these 2 bigger chicks are the smallest of one of the batches, they are now with my new chicks. I like using some small olders to raise babies.

View attachment 3675667
I have been stager hatching all hatching season, these 2 bigger chicks are the smallest of one of the batches, they are now with my new chicks. I like using some small olders to raise babies.
I'm going to try using chicks to raise babies. I'd never thought about that. Looks to me like they are making the little one feel secure having older siblings with them.

Back
Top Bottom