2 incubators set now to hatch a week apart in Novemeber

If I stagger hatch in the same incubator, I always heat up my eggs in a DIY incubator, or a separate incubator. I never put cold eggs in with eggs that have been incubated.
I also have staggered batches several days apart. What is the best way to introduce one day olds to 3 and 5 day olds?

I was planning to make several smaller brooders, and combine them a few days after the last ones hatch.

Right now my plan is to build 4x4 brooder walls in a 12x12 hoop coop that is walled up pretty tight. There is some ventilation but no drafts. I will have a wired housed red heat lamp over every 4x4 box. Planning for 30-35 day old chicks per box for the first 3-4 weeks and then putting them into a 4x8 box for 3-4 weeks and then into a non heated hoop coop of their own. Some will be sold young and some will be retained for breeding. This is the basic model I've been using except I would put twice the number of chicks in a box twice as big. Eventually I hoping for a 14x25' hoop house for a brooder house. That is a goal.

I'm going to have to stop with these that are in incubation now I'm afraid. I fell while out doing chores yesterday after noon and have 2 broken ribs. The ER doc told me to expect to be immobile for 6 to 8 weeks. Searching for help now to help with daily existing chores plus the reassembly of the homemade brooders we have.

Good morning everyone and have a great day.

I'm going to have to stop with these that are in incubation now I'm afraid. I fell while out doing chores yesterday after noon and have 2 broken ribs. The ER doc told me to expect to be immobile for 6 to 8 weeks. Searching for help now to help with daily existing chores plus the reassembly of the homemade brooders we have.

Oh no! I’m sorry @LTAY1946 I hope you can find the help you need and feel better sooner than later. :hugs

I’m so sorry about your injuries! I will say a prayer you find someone to help :hugs

We are cleaning 2 more of the incubators up for using. One for the hatcher and one more to set eggs. I really want a few more Dark Cornish hens and would very much like to feed some DC roos as broilers.

Last edited:
I talked with my part time helper and he will be here the first of the week to build a new hoop coop brooder house for us. I hope to be able to sit as it is built and make sure it will provide for several brooder boxes inside that can be slid out the ends and dumped out on a garden area. There must be a way to keep it sterile inside. Once all the chicks are feathered out they will get a hoop coop of the size needed. I want to build the brooder house 4 panels long x 13' wide up on 38" high walls. The walls will be metal with a wire apron for predator proofing. The real dream is for a 24' x 36' metal building with a cement floor finished in epoxy for easy cleaning and security from predators and severe weather. I've looked into one that is hurricane proof for higher winds than we are most likely to get this far inland.

I've decided not to set more eggs for at least a month. It just wouldn't be fair to hatch little ones and not be able to give them the care they need. Once my rib bones are healed I'll start hatching again. I have to put the kids first ahead of my wants.

Back
Top Bottom