2 month old chicks with family problems?

woodsman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 14, 2010
saugerties, ny
Yikes, I'm new to this chicken thing. On May 21 this sweet little hen started leading around 6 of her chicks. She was given to me by my neighbor who has many free range chickens living on his property. I asked him for a hen cause this rooster, I was sure came from him, showed up one day and hung out for days. I started feeding him and then her. They were enjoying the good life. She has been hanging out nights in one tree with the kids, and he is in a neighboring tree. I feed them 2 - 3 times a day and make sure they have water. They have a few acres to roam and seem quite happy with the set up.
Well, that was until today. Today I went out and one(1) chick was hanging out under my deck. No other chickens within sound or sight. Crazy as they never were separated from mom before. Now tis chick looked abused to me. Neck feathers screwed up and a dazed look on his/her face. Eventually the others came back, but he/she was getting the cold treatment. Then I noticed that one of the other chicks that looks like this one(they are all really beautiful) seemed to be having a similar plight, but not quite to the same degree. Can somebody with chicken knowledge help me out? Not sure what to do, if anything....
sad.png
Thanks, ralph

If mama is pecking these chicks, you need to take them away and raise them in a brooder. She will eventually kill them. Not sure what cuased her to turn, but it sometimes happens. For some reason she no longer views them as hers.

Just realized the May date. Mom is about done raising them, but usually she will abandon them all, not just one or two. It's possible they got into a fight with each other or with another bird. You still need to raise them separately.

Last edited:
Yes they are just about 2 months old. So that's when the party is over eh? Well I have never tried to control them. They are truly free range on a few acres. So I guess they will be on their own. That's the kind of environment the roo and the hen came from. Thanks for your reply SS.

Don't think that happened. The way the brothers/sisters are acting I am pretty sure it's a family matter. But I am wary of that possibility. Thanks.

Hmmmm, Looks like I somehow I submitted my original post twice. Sorry about that. But anyway thought I'd follow up with more info on my BYCs. All six chicks(are they still chicks when they are 2 months old?) were on hand this morning and I observed closely when I fed them this morning. One particularly healthy and aggressive white headed chick seemed to really not like the two that are looking a bit pecked on. That chick is also seeming to be very protective of the most beautiful of the six, though her(?) father(not sure he deserves that title) seems interested, but not enough to take on the smaller bird. I have never seen any actual mating of any of the birds, though I was embarrassed by the roos behavior whenever the hen came off the eggs in early May. Back to the feeding - the most haggard of the chicks seemed to want to be next to the hen while he/she ate. Then I saw that chick actually peck at the hen's neck! She seemed unfazed. I do think as one of my responders said that she is trying to get away from all of them. Looks like I should have chosen a different forum too. Too many choices:barnie Ha ha, too much fun too:ya

Back
Top Bottom