2 month old quail won’t eat or drink and can’t walk

I don’t know how to post a picture. But thank you so much for replying.

I don’t think it’s egg bound.. do quails lay at 2 months old?

It’s poop is white and I think there’s a tiny bit of blood. It’s making me more worried. It was completely fine and suddenly it didn’t want to move anymore.

Right now it’s just huddled in a corner fluffing it’s feathers.

Thank you so much for replying.

It still doesn’t want to eat and I don’t know how to force food down without harming her
Looking at my notes. I would tend to go with instructions that were posted by @007Sean in this thread. Read the whole thread, but huddling, ruffled feathers, white poop with blood...I would treat with antibiotics and Corid. I don't have Quail, but if I did, that's what I would do.
And yes...my understanding is that Quail start laying eggs quite young compared to chickens, so she could be in lay at 2 months of age. If I'm wrong, hopefully the Quail Folks will correct me - I'm Always willing to learn!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/so-much-water.1330462/post-21720206

Editing to add, work on getting her hydrated, she needs fluids first, then you can fiddle with getting her to eat. Wet feed might be enticing or bits of scrambled egg.

You may find this article helpful as well. I wish I knew more...I hope you can find a solution for her and she gets better.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-issues-and-keeping-your-quail-healthy.67379/

I don’t know how to post a picture. But thank you so much for replying.

I don’t think it’s egg bound.. do quails lay at 2 months old?

It’s poop is white and I think there’s a tiny bit of blood. It’s making me more worried. It was completely fine and suddenly it didn’t want to move anymore.

Right now it’s just huddled in a corner fluffing it’s feathers.

Thank you so much for replying.
I've had quail start laying as early as 5.5 weeks. They usually start laying around 6 weeks if conditions are ideal.
It still doesn’t want to eat and I don’t know how to force food down without harming her
I wouldn't force food into her, but rather offer her water with a pipette or dropper that has Nutri-drench or Save-a-chick in it.

The stool with blood is worrying. @Wyorp Rock has given some sound advice, and I would try that. I'll admit, I don't know much about disease, since I haven't had to deal with it ( :fl). I'm also only good with basic first aid, which has been enough for everything I've encountered with my birds so far (for which I'm grateful).

I am worried about internal injuries since this happened after the cat encounter. With internal injuries your choices are pretty much wait and see or a vet.

Good news. i fed it some dandelion and now it‘s starting to eat and drink by itself. starting to walk a little but still likes to rest more than usual. It’s poo is no longer white. It looks more brown with slight green.

Back
Top Bottom