2 of my chickens finally squatted!!!

Mine started checking out the nests maybe 7-8 days before I got the first egg several continue to check out the nest for a few more days before they started laying. It's a good sign but it's not an immediate sign. Your continued patience will be needed.
I Should warn you, about something else I don't read here often. Or perhaps my experience is unique. People talk about squatting behavior when you go to pet a chicken that's laying. Mine now do it in front of my feet as I'm walking. I have nearly tripped several times when a hen sees the shadow of my movement behind her and thinks she's supposed to squat.

My current batch of pullets have been visiting and exploring and messing around in the nests since around 12 weeks (not sleeping in them) so using it as a sign can vary depending on circumstances. I don't deter them from their exploration since my previous pullets never even looked at the nest boxes, and therefore a few of them had to be manually trained to use them, which was a hassle.

Same with squatting, one squatted at 14 weeks or so but it was clearly a submission stance and she's nowhere near ready to lay.

I agree about tripping hazards! A couple of my chickens will drop into a squat if they even think you might be reaching for them.

Any eggs yet? How many weeks are they now? I have 6 BO's I'm waiting on, almost 19 weeks...*sigh*
My pullets are all 20 weeks and NOTHING! I have
3 Light Brahmas
3 Welsummers
3 Black Sex Links
3 Easter Eggers
3 Olive Eggers

All are the same age from Townline Hatchery.

I have noticed someone has been in 2 nest boxes (out of 5) kicking stuff around. I have fake wooden eggs in each box. No one has squatted around me yet. ITS SO HARD TO WAIT. Worse than Christmas as a kid! :idunno :rant:confused:

meat chicken finally laid an egg after 6 months but i had to give her away because i was taking care of her for my grandmother but know i have 2 RIR pullets who are 9 weeks old so maybe about 11 more weeks till i get some eggs

Well here we are 2+ months later and my ee still isn't laying! I'd say maybe she's laying brown eggs, but I've never ever had 4 eggs in one day so there's no way she's laying. My husband is getting sick of her free loading, haha

Woohoo! My buff crawled into the nesting box when I was pulling this one out (and unburying the fake eggs they buried when laying this egg). So maybe she's the culprit? But I'd think it's my black Australorp because her comb turned red first? Not sure! My barred rock is squatting too now!

Congrats!!! So much fun.
Ours have been laying for 4 weeks now - 11-12 eggs a day (13 chickens) and it NEVER gets old. :wee:love:clap

In fact my grown up husband and I have an ongoing competition to see who collects the most eggs and who brings in a blue or aqua one from our EEs.
One if my fave (they ALL are) laid her first green/blue egg today!
Enjoy!

Well here we are 2+ months later and my ee still isn't laying! I'd say maybe she's laying brown eggs, but I've never ever had 4 eggs in one day so there's no way she's laying. My husband is getting sick of her free loading, haha

We have two EEs anf they were both 3-4 weeks later than the others. Late bloomers. They cant help it. :)

Back
Top Bottom