2 out of 2 white silkies hatched (Update Pics )

BamaChicken

Orpingtons Bama Style
12 Years
Nov 14, 2007
Well I went into move the eggs out of turner since they were due to hatch on Monday. They are peeping and starting to pip. I quickly took the turner out and added water to bator. Three hours later they both had hatched. I checked the temps in both the bators tomake sure it wasn't running up hotter than I thought and no it was a perfect 99.5 with two different thermometers. These just hatched early and are very pretty and fluffy.
I have noticed I am doing better hatching when I don't add much water to the bator days 1 to 18. I have got to where I don't move mine to the hatcher till day 19. I am not saying for anyone else to do that but it is working for me.

Last edited:
Congrats on the babies!!
yippiechickie.gif

What is your humidity running your first 18 days?

I don't check it. Sorry. I just add about 1/2 cup of water every three days

I wish I could do that!!
smile.png
My hubby always says if there's not something to worry about I'll look till I find something.....maybe he's right and the humidity is something I should quit worrying about!! I think you probably have higher humidity than we do...especially this time of year. We get pretty humid in the summer, but during the winter and especially since we heat with a wood stove it's pretty dry in the house.

I keep my bator in a bedroom with the doors closed so the heat doesn't get in there. We don't run our central unit. Heat with wood stove .

We heat with the woodstove, too. I just throw one of my quilted wallhangings over the bator at night and it helps alot to keep temps stable when house temps fall during the night. Congrats on the new babies, Julie.

As some of you know, I have had a lot of trouble hatching my silkies. I talked to a master hatcher
smile.png
a few days ago and she said some thing along the lines that you are. She said to fill the tray every few days and quit trying so hard. I think some of us have a personality to make it perfect and it doesn't. I know I do that.

Back
Top Bottom