2 Roos, 6 hens..Not Sure

Should I get rid of aggressive roo? Docile roo? Or keep both?

• Aggressive Roo

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Docile Roo

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Keep Both

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NDChickie

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
On what to do. I have 2 roos of unknown breed, 2 hen from same batch as roos and 4 white leghorn hens. Question I have isnt about the hens acutally, its about the roos.
One roo is very aggressive towards me and the hens in fact a hen lost a good 3/4 of her comb because of him and bloodied up the others. He is also the roo that crows the most.
The other roo is docile and calm, the ladies seem to follow him around more yet he doesnt crow hardly at all nor show any kind of dominance.

Im not sure if I should keep them both or get rid of the butthead.
If I got rid of the aggressive one would the other become more aggressive?

No brainer - get rid of the overly aggressive rooster. Yes the second may become aggressive once his brother is gone. If this happens get rid of him too. There are lots of mellow roosters looking for a good home.

Absolutely get rid of the aggressive cockerel. No good reason to keep him when you have a perfectly suitable cockerel on hand. The removal of the aggressor is unlikely the change the good cockerel's personality. If it does, then remove him as well.

As suggested, get rid of man hater. There are a world of nice, sweet roosters out there. A rooster can do a lot of damage and a child could be seriously injured. Not to mention if a rooster seriously hurt one of my hens like that one did? He'd be getting a dose of crockpot therapy.

I dont think I could crockpot him yet, theyre only 8 maybe 9 weeks old....i dont want to rehome him because of his horrid personality. So i dont know exactly what to do with him.

Try a badmitton racket when he comes at you. Dog Whisperer uses to block biting dog. But I would not just block, I'd launch the little twirp.

Hahaha Ive smacked him for going after my hand when I was grabbing the feeder and waterer. My daughter likes to go in the coop and mess with the chickens 2 hens follow her all over the coop but I have to make sure the angry roo is up in the hutch before she can go.

Hahaha Ive smacked him for going after my hand when I was grabbing the feeder and waterer. My daughter likes to go in the coop and mess with the chickens 2 hens follow her all over the coop but I have to make sure the angry roo is up in the hutch before she can go.
How old is your daughter?

BTW 8-9 week old birds are called pullets and cockerels(until a year old)....

......and if exhibiting aggression at that age, something else is going on other than normal cockerel aggression.
Adverse chicken behaviors, like many other animals, often is more about the human behavior around the animals.
Check yourselves before blaming the animals.

How old is your daughter?

BTW 8-9 week old birds are called pullets and cockerels(until a year old)....

......and if exhibiting aggression at that age, something else is going on other than normal cockerel aggression.
Adverse chicken behaviors, like many other animals, often is more about the human behavior around the animals.
Check yourselves before blaming the animals.

Shes 4.

What exactly are you implying?

Back
Top Bottom