2 roosters.

somissemilyy

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Coldwater, MS
I have 2 roos. A RIR & a BR. I both got them at the same time, which was 1 day old when I ordered my bunch. Well my RIR roo, he has grown to be the dominate one.. While my BR roo has stayed back, didn't get to call dibs I guess. Now all the sudden yesterday, my dad told me that while I was at school my BR roo was chasing my RIR roo around like they were fighting I guess. They did it a good bit that afternoon... What I don't understand is why they are doing this when they have already established a dominate roo in my bunch of chickens, and what will happen & how long it will happen for.. What should I do to help?!

Thanks!
smile.png

They are challenging each other for dominance. It can get ugly (as in one of them killed by the other), so you want to be careful. How many hens do you have? How much space do they have?

it is true that they can kill or injure each other. However, they will often reach an accommodation where they acknowledge which is dominant and which is his able assistant. Many of us keep multiple roosters without them hurting each other. They work very well together to protect the flock.

What I suspect is that they are still relatively young, less than a year old. The BR was slower to mature, but now that he has matured, he has challenged for the lead position. If he is doing the chasing, he won.

Quote:
Exactly! My BR roo has grown up to be bigger than my RIR roo and he is doing the chasing. Do you think they will kill each other or try and fight? Or do you think they will reach an agreement?

You can never tell for sure. Practically all of mine reach an accommodation. And it is interesting to watch them work together. For instance, with two roosters, the dominant one is usually the first out the pop door, sort of like he is checking things out. The not dominant one is usually the last one out, as if he is hanging back to watch over the ones not yet out. It does not always work that way, but often you will notice patterns like that.

Often with two roosters and lots of space, you'll see the flock split up. Each rooster will have his own harem. There is still no doubt which one is dominant, but they just each go their own way. But one time I had two that hung with each other and did not stay with the hens that much. All the eggs were fertile, so they were doing their job, but they just liked each others company more than the hens company.

They are living animals. You really don't know what will happen. I think your odds are pretty good but it could still end in tragedy.

Exactly. It just depends on if one backs down.

I raised 2 roosters together, and they both knew their place. It worked well. Then I built a new coop and separated the boys.

Sounds like they have plenty of girls and space, so your chances are good that it will work out.

Serious fights follow certain breeds, especially game types. That doesn't mean others will never get really violent, just less likely. I have had at least roosters as long as I have had my flock, for more than a year. Since rebuilding my flock, I now have 4 roosters and 3 hens in the same large pen. My copper blue maran quickly made it clear that he is number one, and my original Lt., a RIR, has resumed his position as number 2. The other 2 boys, a Dominique and a buff cochin that are both about 6 mos, follow the Lt around for the most part. After the initial sparring matches they all get along fine, although the arrangement is temporary until my latest batch of chicks is old enough to introduce and separate.

As others have said, watching roos divide duties is really interesting. There are some things they can do, and some things they can't. My Lts. have always tried to present treats to lower level hens, but it usually results in a chase. With enough hens to go around, a couple will usually begin hanging around the Lt. without getting him into trouble. They'll roost with him and all, but don't be shocked when the glorious leader decides to mate one of his Lts hens right in front of him. There is still a lot of dominance going on, but its better for the flock to have multiple roos, and that Lt is always there to step up should something happen to the leader.

Ken

So should I give one away.. They are still chasing but not really anymore.. Just when I have them closed up for the evening going into the morning, before I can get down there I know there is friction.. I just don't want one to kill the other one, you know? I just want them to work it out.

I would continue to watch them. Most say that roosters raised together will be more likely to get along in a flock than 2 strangers put together. The only problem is that you have a couple extra hens for 1 roo and not enough for 2. Many on here say that 1 roo to 10 or 12 hens is a good ratio. One solution if they do fight, is to allow 1 in at a time, and rotate them.

Back
Top Bottom