2 week old cayuga ducks -EMERGENCY-

Sean97

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2019
Good morning! I'm new to this website I've been reading multiple threads about my ducklings but i truly don't know what else to do. I had 9 Cayuga ducklings when i left for work yesterday they all looked healthy and happy and had plenty of food and water. I came home from work at noon and 1 of the ducklings was laying down with its neck bent on half of its face. I immediately took it away from the other ducklings and started watching it trying to give it fluids and food. I used a dropper to have it get water its breathing was heavy and would open its break when breathing. Around midnight my fiance read online about a charcoal slurry since it seemed like it was worsening we went to Walmart to get the charcoal powder. Before we left we noticed a second duckling starting to have the same symptoms so we also separated that one. When we arrived back the first duckling unfortunately didn't make it and was dead. My fiance stayed up all night giving the second one water after the slurry keeping it hydrated. Im afraid this one may die as well and I'm looking for any advice or help. The first duck had problems with standing and wouldn't extend its neck after it got sick. Its breathing was terrible so i tried to comfort it. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Any heat source? Are you using cold water or Luke warm for drinking? Supplements should be Liquid B complex also from TSC you’ll find it in the cattle dept? It will say injectable but peel off the foil and use a dropper to get out a ml and put over the meal worms so they get full dose. If it is a niacin def which can easily happen when we feed chick starter then this liquid b complex is like a miracle elixir. Stop with the cracked corn at their age they don’t need it. They also need chick grit if fed anything other than their starter.

:welcome
I am sorry about your duck babies that is very sad. I would listen to the wonderful advice you are given here. I am fortunate enough to have had help from this forum when my little duckling was struggling. Mine made it and I hope you have the same outcome. B Complex will forever be on hand at my house!

It doesn’t sound like anything else could be the cause they have been where they couldn’t get into anything toxic. Unless you take them to the vet and get necropsy done on the ones that have died you have to try with what you have. Get the liquid b complex started and hope that is what it is because if caught early they come back pretty quick. I wish I had more answers for you. Your sure they aren’t getting chilled in the pool? Just bouncing things around now.

Update- Sadly the one little duckling did not make it and just passed away but at least its not in pain or suffering anymore and can be at peace. On the other hand the rest of our flock is doing great the one that we thought might have been getting sick is great after the vitamins we have been giving them. Thank you all so very much for all your advice and help. Our 7 other healthy ducklings thank you guys tremendously too!!!

Back
Top Bottom