2 week old cayuga ducks -EMERGENCY-

Sean97

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2019
Good morning! I'm new to this website I've been reading multiple threads about my ducklings but i truly don't know what else to do. I had 9 Cayuga ducklings when i left for work yesterday they all looked healthy and happy and had plenty of food and water. I came home from work at noon and 1 of the ducklings was laying down with its neck bent on half of its face. I immediately took it away from the other ducklings and started watching it trying to give it fluids and food. I used a dropper to have it get water its breathing was heavy and would open its break when breathing. Around midnight my fiance read online about a charcoal slurry since it seemed like it was worsening we went to Walmart to get the charcoal powder. Before we left we noticed a second duckling starting to have the same symptoms so we also separated that one. When we arrived back the first duckling unfortunately didn't make it and was dead. My fiance stayed up all night giving the second one water after the slurry keeping it hydrated. Im afraid this one may die as well and I'm looking for any advice or help. The first duck had problems with standing and wouldn't extend its neck after it got sick. Its breathing was terrible so i tried to comfort it. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

My ducklings are 2 weeks old as of today. I ordered them online from Tractor supply which uses Hoovers Hatchery. I have them in a plastic bin on my back porch (screened in) i have a bigger place for them made out of wood when they are ready. Im using Flake pine chips for bedding also from tractor supply. They are eating Dumor 20% protein chick starter/grower along with freeze dried meal worms, cracked corn once in a while and watermelon slices when i put them in there kiddy pool. Im not using any supplements. I put them in the kiddy pool 4 to 5 times a day.

Any heat source? Are you using cold water or Luke warm for drinking? Supplements should be Liquid B complex also from TSC you’ll find it in the cattle dept? It will say injectable but peel off the foil and use a dropper to get out a ml and put over the meal worms so they get full dose. If it is a niacin def which can easily happen when we feed chick starter then this liquid b complex is like a miracle elixir. Stop with the cracked corn at their age they don’t need it. They also need chick grit if fed anything other than their starter.

Any heat source? Are you using cold water or Luke warm for drinking? Supplements should be Liquid B complex also from TSC you’ll find it in the cattle dept? It will say injectable but peel off the foil and use a dropper to get out a ml and put over the meal worms so they get full dose. If it is a niacin def which can easily happen when we feed chick starter then this liquid b complex is like a miracle elixir. Stop with the cracked corn at their age they don’t need it. They also need chick grit if fed anything other than their starter.

Here is the b-complex you need to get. Put about 1ml over some meal worms or drizzel it on their food. I wouldn't put it in their water, dilutes and wastes too much IMO.
IMG_0251.JPG

Yes there bedding is dry and they can dry between swims. I have a heat lamp but turn it off when they seem like they don't need it as it gets extremely hot in central Florida. The water they swim in is about room temp id say, i add warm water from my sink to the cold hose water i make sure to mix it around well before placing them in. The other duck was seizing a few hours ago after i posted this. Its still alive but seems like its not doing well at all. Im at tractor supply now getting the stuff you mentioned. Thank you i appreciate the help i can't get the sick one to eat anything should i mix the vitamin with water for that one and dropper feed it? And drop some on the meal worms for the others like you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom