2 week old chick leg issue

Niteeyes

Chirping
Jan 18, 2022
New England
Hi,
I have a chick that is between one and two weeks old that is holding it's right leg out to the side and started limping. It also seems to be holding it's right wing up slightly. This just started today.
Anyone have any thoughts? This is my first time with chicks. I am trying to include photos but the chick isn't cooperating.
I tried to attach a video but that doesn't seem to work.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_132324905.jpg
    IMG_20230422_132324905.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20230422_132329046.jpg
    IMG_20230422_132329046.jpg
    589.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230422_132315629.jpg
    IMG_20230422_132315629.jpg
    560.9 KB · Views: 2
To attach a video you have to upload to another host, like youtube, and put the link here, then it can be seen.
I can't really tell from the pictures, is the leg sticking out at a wrong angle, or is the chick just not wanting to put weight on it?
With chicks, a slipped achilles tendon could be an issue, I'll put a couple of links below for that, or it could be a sprain or strain if it tweaked it landing wrong, getting caught on something, or getting knocked around by others
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/slipped-tendon
Here scroll down to fix slipped achilles tendon in hock joint (the imbedded links in the article no longer work, but the article is helpful): https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
https://bitchinchickens.com/2019/07/15/slipped-tendon/comment-page-1/

Thanks for the quick reply, my wife just gave me an update. She says it's not the leg, she said the belly is swollen on the right side and it's pushing her leg outward. I'm perplexed and trying to research as we speak.

Those will sometimes resolve on their own. Give it a little time, see if it resolves. If it does not, or it continues to get larger, or the chick has trouble breathing, you can release the air with a sterilized sewing needle. Two sets of hands are helpful, one to hold while one uses the needle. Apply antiseptic to the area, pinch the skin up between two fingers, that way you only get skin, and poke the sterilized needle just through the skin to make a tiny hole to release the air. Then apply a tiny dab of plain triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin to the place you pricked the skin. Releasing the pressure allows the air sac to heal. Sometimes it may have to be done more than once. Sometimes they rupture an air sac bumping each other around or banging into something.

Those will sometimes resolve on their own. Give it a little time, see if it resolves. If it does not, or it continues to get larger, or the chick has trouble breathing, you can release the air with a sterilized sewing needle. Two sets of hands are helpful, one to hold while one uses the needle. Apply antiseptic to the area, pinch the skin up between two fingers, that way you only get skin, and poke the sterilized needle just through the skin to make a tiny hole to release the air. Then apply a tiny dab of plain triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin to the place you pricked the skin. Releasing the pressure allows the air sac to heal. Sometimes it may have to be done more than once. Sometimes they rupture an air sac bumping each other around or banging into something.
Thank you so much!

The chick kept getting bigger so we had to release the air, so far so good. We may have to do it again but right now we will monitor the chick. She looks so much better in just a matter of a couple of minutes and her leg and wing are back where they should be. Thank you again for the information.

Back
Top Bottom