2 week old duckling having a Seizure?

Pics

Shellysstuff7

Songster
May 25, 2019
Spring Valley, Arizona
Hi, everyone! I have a 2 1/2 week old duckling who keeps having a seizure (Not sure if it is really). I have them on duck food that is made for ducks from hatch to just before laying age. I have no idea what to do for her. When it happens she mostly on her back thrashing around but today she was just "stuck" in place on her side. I have a picture showing her while it was happening. Once I pick her up it seems to pass fairly
20190530_085959.jpg
quickly then she is back to her normal self eating and drinking fine. If anyone has any information I would be so GRATEFUL!!!

Here is another thread on ducklings with seizures. Lots of people offered lots of help and different ideas.

One thing to look at is the temperature of the drinking water. It may or may not be related in your case, but stop giving cold drinking water. Let the water sit out and warm up to room temperature at least before filling the duckling water with it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-water-fits-with-water-fowl-peeps.1244514/

I bought then from Murry McMurry Hatchery so I had hoped they would know what they are doing. I have 3 and only 1 is having this problem. I added a small bit of Quick Chick to their water just in case. I also give them fresh veggies such as peas, corn, green beans ect... Is there anything else I can do for her? It's so sad to see her like that when it happens!! My husband said he found her having one this morning and she had another one at 9:00. Poor baby!!

Also there's a chance of a bad batch of bedding or feed with mold toxins in it. Since by the look of it the ducklings are not outdoors and are in a brooder so they aren't exposed to much. If it was me, I'd consider ditching all the bedding and feed and getting a new supply of each. It can be really hard to narrow down what's going on, but for $20, it might be worth just changing all the feed and bedding just in case one of those is the culprit.

Here is another thread on ducklings with seizures. Lots of people offered lots of help and different ideas.

One thing to look at is the temperature of the drinking water. It may or may not be related in your case, but stop giving cold drinking water. Let the water sit out and warm up to room temperature at least before filling the duckling water with it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-water-fits-with-water-fowl-peeps.1244514/
I will definitely try that!! Thanks for the information! I will try anything at this point! Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom