2 wk old chick can't pass massive poop!

mandimc

Hatching
May 3, 2016
I bought 2 2wk old polish chicks yesterday. Noticed last night 1 had poop crusted over its vent. I cleaned the baby up and put Vaseline on its vent. It's been pooping alot but it's vent is extremely swollen. Now it's trying to pass this huge poop but it just went back in! What can I do?

Oh my gosh..I got chicks from TSC and they have had mad pasty butt. I noticed one of mine doing that and I ran warm water on its bum to "relax" him some, and made sure area was clean, as I am sure you did like you mentioned, and then put fresh ACV water back in brood, watched him for a little and about an hour, it (the hideaway poop) was gone and he didn't look swollen. I put a heated sock with rice in it too, so they can sit on it and maybe that helps with the passing of their poop?? I know my way is weird and ridiculous, but it's what worked for me ;)

Thanks so much! He started trying to pass it again so I soaked his little bottom in warm water and it finally passed. I have no idea how long he had been that way because he has pooped alot since I cleaned him last night..I mean a WHOLE LOT!

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Make sure all the chicks have good access to water. Many times this is caused from dehydration. If there is too much competition for water, this one may be going thirsty. So you might add another waterer. Also, add some probiotics to the water. Or even Apple Cider Vinegar to the water. Either of these help to balance the intestinal tract and also help develop a good immune system.

You can use human probiotics, empty one capsule into a quart plastic waterer, fill with water. As for the Apple Cider Vinegar, use about 3/4 teaspoon of the Apple Cider Vinegar to a plastic quart waterer. Fill with water. Either of these need to be changed and made fresh daily.

Thanks so much! He started trying to pass it again so I soaked his little bottom in warm water and it finally passed. I have no idea how long he had been that way because he has pooped alot since I cleaned him last night..I mean a WHOLE LOT!

Oh yay!! I am so glad!!! :D And Ditto what TwoCrows said, too! ;)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the wonderful advice! Proud to report that hard times have passed..lol. Looks like my little one is going to be okay.

Btw I went and got some plain yogurt.. Any clue how much I should give them?
Great news things are moving!
wink.png

Just scoop up a 1/4 teaspoon or so on a spoon and let them lick it off. Chicks are pretty leary of food so it might take them a couple of tries. You could also make up some hard boiled eggs, warm and chop up an egg and mix some yogurt into the eggs. Do this once a day for as long as you can take it. LOL I use probiotics on my chicks and adults on a regular basis. I put probiotics in the water several times each week all through out their lives. If you do use the egg method, only serve up what they will clean up in 10 mins. Eggs will grow bacteria under heat lamps so clean up what ever is left over after 10 or 15 mins.

soooo..unfortunately my baby is not well. She's eating and drinking a cv water but still having trouble passing her poop. I don't know what to do. Anyone have any ideas? Is her vent prolapsed?

Back
Top Bottom