20+ Week Hen Stopped laying

pikeman94

Songster
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Olathe, KS
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 20+ week old hen that hasn't laid for 10 days. She laid a few eggs and then stopped. I have noticed that her poop is always running. Sometimes I find whole grass clippings in it. She seems to be in good spirits and has a good appetite. Any ideas on where I can start to look?

Rob (Pikeman94)

Quote:
do you feed her layer? and do you also give her oyster shell or some other form of calcium? how does her vent look? is it red and pulsing or normal looking? as far as runny poo have you ever wormed them?

She has been on layer feed since 20 weeks. I haven't had to give any of my girls oyster as their eggs are all perfect, but I guess it couldn't hurt. As for worming, I don't think she was ever wormed. What can I give her for that?

Hello Rob. I am also having the same problem with two of my Easter Egger hens. They only layed a few eggs each and then stopped. Well, one of them does lay a shell-less egg on the roost very early in the morning on occassion. I have a flock of 10 and these two are the only ones I am having a problem with. The hen I believe that is laying shell-less eggs on the roost did have a soft shell egg break in her I believe because she had what appeared to be mixed egg poop. Well, I don't think she was pooping it but rather expelling it from her vent. She was also a bit lethargic that day so I treated her to plenty of vitamin water and some quiet rest in the house. She was fine a day later and has been since. The other hen hasn't shown any signs of illness or noticable issues, she just stopped laying. I am concerned they may be internal layers. I have been keeping a watchful eye on any signs of bound eggs and I have felt nothing. Very strange. BTW-They both came from Privett Hatchery. I wondered if my girls have any similarities to yours.

Hmmmcc123 - Interesting. Did either of them have runny poop? An earlier responder to my post talked about worms. I am wondering if there is a general de-worming feed or water additive that I can give my hen that is having the problem. Beyond that she is acting normal and eating with the other hens. I will keep investigating and report back with what I find.

It doesn't hurt to worm them, even if that isn't the issue. I also use Apple Cider Vinegar, in the days before all these chemical or herbal wormers the vinegar was a popular choice.

Quote:
I also use ACV but it doesn't work to kill the parasites that are already there. I have used ACV for years and my chickens still got round worms. Get Wazine it's for treating chickens for round worms, you mix it in their water. go by the directions on the bottle. then after worming start the ACV, and also give them a good probiotic of somekind after the worming for the gut. some use plain high quality yogurt, others buttermilk and you can buy probiotics at TSC also. in powder form. As far as the laying, I don't know some of my hens lay for a while then stop then start back up. I think they have a lay out time. and then also time of year, some will slow down as the daylight hours wane.

Quote:
I also use ACV but it doesn't work to kill the parasites that are already there. I have used ACV for years and my chickens still got round worms. Get Wazine it's for treating chickens for round worms, you mix it in their water. go by the directions on the bottle. then after worming start the ACV, and also give them a good probiotic of somekind after the worming for the gut. some use plain high quality yogurt, others buttermilk and you can buy probiotics at TSC also. in powder form. As far as the laying, I don't know some of my hens lay for a while then stop then start back up. I think they have a lay out time. and then also time of year, some will slow down as the daylight hours wane.

Quite right!

I'd never bet my house on it being the best form of treatment, but it can be a very good preventative treatment.

Back
Top Bottom