20 week old Buff Orpington pullets not laying yet

qdog

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2020
I have 15 20 week old Buff Orpington pullets and none are laying yet. About five of them have pretty big and bright red combs and wattles, none are squatting for me yet. When should I start expecting eggs?

Okay, thanks! I did put a few false eggs in the nesting boxes and still have not explored the nesting area yet. Wonder why they haven't yet?
They won’t start finding a nesting location until they, well, get close to laying eggs. Sometimes they just don’t explore the nesting boxes, sometimes they do. My BO didn’t start laying till she was 21 weeks old, and I’ve heard that’s on the early side. Just hold tight, the first eggs will come eventually.

:welcome
Sounds like they will most likely start laying eggs very soon. Maybe could try putting a false egg or golf ball in their nesting area for some encouragement. Orps usually start laying around the 24wk age, but some lay sooner or later :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you try keeping them closed in their coop house for a day or 2 so they could get used to being in there and will know where to nest/roost?

Okay, thanks! I did put a few false eggs in the nesting boxes and still have not explored the nesting area yet. Wonder why they haven't yet?

My buff Orpington just started laying at 21 weeks. We got our chickens the first week of April. The day before she laid her comb and wattles turned even more bright red than they had been and the comb got so big it flopped over. It should be soon for you! Within a few weeks.

I will want to do anything but stress my chickens out so I will probably not lock them up. I have a huge run right now because some like to run away but I will let them free range once they start laying so they stay closer to the coop, they like to hide in woods.

My BO pullet is 21 weeks old and isn't laying yet either. Her comb/waddles are still a little small compared to some of my other girls. I have a golden comet, a RIR and 2 barred rocks same age who are laying.

Back
Top Bottom