20 weeks Rhode Island Red not laying yet, why?

Good for you! Yay!

My experience with chickens is that they put themselves to bed not the other way around haha. My neighbor just started to train them to do it and after a few tries they go into the coop at sunset
It's true with all living things it's best to go slow.

Familiarity helps. We moved the same coop from the previous owners yard to ours and fed similar and I got eggs the very next day - but yours are still young so do what works :)

Good luck to you!

Good for you! Yay!

My experience with chickens is that they put themselves to bed not the other way around haha. My neighbor just started to train them to do it and after a few tries they go into the coop at sunset
It's true with all living things it's best to go slow.

Familiarity helps. We moved the same coop from the previous owners yard to ours and fed similar and I got eggs the very next day - but yours are still young so do what works :)

Good luck to you!
Thanks, the reason I want to build a run is because I have hawks in the area and they attacks my chicken once! But it's never a bad idea to wait!

If you go ahead and build it before they are laying regularly there won't be much if any disruption for them.
I suggest that since laying can be very sporadic at first anyway.
That and you would have a safe spot for them should the hawk come looking for a pullet dinner. You can run train them like I did if you want to be able to get them in quick.
I have a yellow feed scoop that I bring treats in. ALWAYS in the yellow scoop. I only give treats in the run. A few days of bringing a handful of a favorite treat and they run into the run waiting for me.

I have 24 in the big house and 7 in the small house. It worked with both groups very well.

Instinct tells them to roost high enough to not be an easy target for four-legged predators. They will choose to sleep inside a coop only if it offers a feeling of security OR they have no other choice. Right now, you're going with no other choice since you are placing them inside and they won't relocate in the dark. But, being at ground level doesn't feel safe to them and honestly, a raccoon could easily take them both one night.

You could raise the coop up and give them a ladder or something of intermediate height to hop onto to get in there. They may then choose it on their own. Or, you could get the run built so they are locked in it at night and then they'll probably sleep on top of the coop unless it's raining. So, I'd do both.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to update you about my to RIR my second hen started laying as well since last week (they both turned 23 weeks old today) but suddenly the first one stopped laying for almost two weeks and today my dad found a hidden spot for eggs and it has 10 eggs! It turned out that my chicken was laying in a secret spot! Here's a pic of the 10 eggs I've collected from the hidden place along with the ones I've been saving. However, my dad said that the hen was sitting on them when he found her. Could that mean that's she's going broody? Should I bring her fertilized eggs? Also I have built the chicken run two weeks ago but I still let them free rance all day! I just can't keep them cause they seem too happy when they're out! Thanks everyone for your help all the info you have provided were very helpful!

Attachments

• IMG_6257.JPG
    IMG_6257.JPG
    317.9 KB · Views: 16
I know what you mean about free ranging. I work full time and my wife works part time. On days when the both of us work we lock them in the coop and run. They are always waiting at the door of the run for us to let them out into the yard.

I know what you mean about free ranging. I work full time and my wife works part time. On days when the both of us work we lock them in the coop and run. They are always waiting at the door of the run for us to let them out into the yard.
Yes, they just stand at the door. Haha I almost feel for them. They need that freedom!

However, my dad said that the hen was sitting on them when he found her. Could that mean that's she's going broody? Should I bring her fertilized eggs?
Only broody if she sit on them most of the day and all night for 3 days running.
If she is broody, whether you should give her fertilized eggs,
I'd say probably not, until you get a bigger coop arranged.
Here's some questions you should ask your self before allowing a broody to set.

Do you have, or can you get, some fertile eggs?

Do you have the space needed? She may need to be separated by wire from the rest of the flock.

Do you have a plan on what to do with the inevitable males? Rehome, butcher, keep in separate 'bachelor pad'?

If you decide to let her hatch out some fertile eggs, this is a great thread for reference and to ask questions.

It a long one but just start reading the first few pages, then browse thru some more at random.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/496101/broody-hen-thread

Back
Top Bottom