2013 Chicks Picked Out!

i already have 3 buff orp hens and 3 red star hens....all 10months old...then chicken math hit me...and now i am in process of expanding my coop. i have 2black jersey giant female chicks, 2 buff Brahma female chicks, 1 Silver Laced Cochin female chick and for my DD that has been begging me for a roo 1 buff orp roo chick.....all coming the first of april, had them ordered since november, and the kids have a calendar marking the days until they come.

Ok thanks LilSlinkFarm. Beowulf1877, doesn't it take a long time for jersey giants to mature? I too was looking inti that breed! And FamilyoChickens, do you like your buff orps? I'm looking into that breed for this spring. I have my chickens breeds listed down to 8 different ones. I need to get it down to 3 different breeds! Hahaha

my jersey giant grew just like every one else. :)

I'm not ordering chicks this year but I'm hatching my own! The roosters are BLRW, black cochin, and a silkie! And I have a bunch of different kinds of hens so I'm realllllllyyyy excited!
jumpy.gif

I have 2 Delawares, 2 Red Stars and 2 Australorps......I am getting a straight run of 5 Swedish Flower Hens from papabrooder here on BYC as well as 2 Easter Eggers and a Speckled Sussex. Very excited!!!

I'm enjoying reading this thread! I'm a first-timer - I started thinking about chickens over a year ago and now I'm finally ready to get started! I will be getting 6 chicks: 2 Buff Orps, 2 Ameraucanas, and 2 of something else... Having trouble picking the 3rd breed. I'd like something not flighty, good layer, and most importantly friendly. So hard to choose!

I'm enjoying reading this thread!  I'm a first-timer - I started thinking about chickens over a year ago and now I'm finally ready to get started!  I will be getting 6 chicks: 2 Buff Orps, 2 Ameraucanas, and 2 of something else... Having trouble picking the 3rd breed.  I'd like something not flighty, good layer, and most importantly friendly.  So hard to choose!

My Australorp is an awesome layer and a very calm bird. I highly recommend them for your mix!

SarahBee I was going to suggest Australorps or Delawares. Both are calm but in my limited (9 mos) experience with 2 Australorps and 3 Delawares I found that Delawares are more friendly and have more personality. As my Avatar shows you the come right in the house if we leave a door open. Both lay similarly as well. I love how the Australorps feel all warm and feathery on a warm spring day when their black feathers are all warmed up by the sun.

Back
Top Bottom