2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Well 18 BLRW eggs picked up early and in the bator. Hatch date is October 10th. I bit disappointed because all of them look porous, should I keep the humidity a little higher, around 45?

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh it sounds wonderful when the time comes!

where do you get ox tallow? local or order online? very cool that you make all of it and its so very pretty

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    what is your room humidity? and what is the bator humidity running at with the eggs in it before adding water? also, how large are air cells at set (how old are eggs)?

4. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    1 person likes this.
  5. storminthenight

storminthenight Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Humidity without water is 30%, I've added some water and its up to 40%. The oldest should be about 5 days. Not sure on the other two.

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  7. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    are you marking air cells at start? that way you really know what your loss is from day one to day 7 or 10 whenever you candle.

8. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas

I think the reason mine turned out 50 50 is because most of my flock have big bibs ( now ties) the gene code I think is NN meaning they are carrying only one gene for the naked neck. They being bred to other Nn ( big bibs) create approximately 75 % Naked Necks ( some of the babies will be Nn ( big bibs ) and some NN ( two genes for the naked neck) and 25% will be nn ( no gene for naked neck).

These will not ever produce naked neck chicks unless they are bred back to Naked Necks.

Then if you breed these to non naked necks you come out with about 50 50 on the chicks.

When you breed an Naked Neck with a little to no bow tie to any Naked Neck ( little or big bowtie) you should get all Naked Neck babies 100%.

I'm still learning all this myself. Kev from the Naked Neck thread can explain all this way better than I can.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  9. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Just set 10 Silver Grey Dorking eggs and 6 Red Dorking eggs. Set to hatch 10/9. I may have to set more the next day so I can have some hatch on halloween [​IMG]

10. draye

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I bought some Red Dorking chicks once. I didn't care for them myself they were wild. Every time I walked into the run they'd go bazeerk and fly everywhere.

I hope you have good luck with yours and you like them. I think maybe it was just the line I got a hold of.

BTW: there was one cockerel in that bunch that turned out to be a Colored Dorking. Very very pretty color on a chicken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by