2015 HALLOWEEN Hatch-a-Long, Join us IF YOU DARE!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Sally Sunshine, Sep 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonshine15

sonshine15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2015
    Wow, I don't feel as badly...........I didnt' notice my calibration for a long time!! Sometimes I hesitate to post due to senior moment memory farts. I don't know if you're a senior so hope it's ok to joke around.

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    OH awesome! a very cute hatch!! yay!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]Sweet, join in chat anytime! Are you looking at houses currently?

I know!!!! arggggg

you know it!

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    @hippiestink your soaps are just BEAUTIFUL! I assume you have a farm and raise goats etc? I have to check out your blog too!

4. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

SO glad you joined us!! I think those temp variables is the main issue [​IMG]but getting humidity down and setting temps on will do wonders!

I will note that I calibrate and am spot on, so I run bator at 100.5 to 101 and have much better hatch rates, and cleaner hatches, keeping in mind humidity is not a set number, it will vary from home to home and bator to bator and egg to egg... its all about weight loss in them eggs!

1 person likes this.
  5. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

NAAAAA ABSOLUTELY NO JOKING AROUND HERE!! MUWAHHAHHAA

6. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Shouldnt be that big of a deal, I am sure they lost weight but if you keep your eye on them and adjust humidity as needed for correct weight loss they should be fine, esp since turner was on, usually we hear no turner but with heat with this mess up lol. No biggy

Eggs look nice and dark!

7. hippiestink

hippiestink Chillin' With My Peeps

Nah no goats. I do have a friend who raises them and I'll get her overflow stock very soon for goat's milk. As of now all our stock is made with ox tallow, sunflower seed oil, and olive oil.

As for house hunting, we're in line to inherit my grandfather-in-law's homestead and his flock of barnyard chickens. Which will bring up our flock from eight to roughly 28, barring his eating a few. It needs some work beforehand (greenhouse needs updated and an addition put on the house to replace the all-seasons porch), so we'll be stuck in our urban homestead for a few years yet.

8. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    For the Easter HAL, someone(Sally Sunshine maybe??) told me that refrigerated eggs may have better hatch rates in fridge if you wait a few weeks or something. Most of my hens aren't laying now, but I have some of the refrigerated eggs from a few weeks ago...

Can someone give me info on this?

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Fresh eggs are best up to 15 days stored out of the fridge.

So you would store them outside of the fridge, big end up and turned a couple of times a day.

If you have not incubated them by day 15, then the do better in cold storage, small end up---YOU WOULD DO THIS AFTER DAY 15!

This is based on a study and better is still not that good. It is better to incubate eggs closer to 5 days old.

I really regret posting about that on the Easter hatch a long. It only succeeds in being very confusing....

10. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Oh that was you. Sorry!

And alright, thanks! I was just curious. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by