2015 Peafowl Hatching Support Group - Eggs and Chicks!

Pics
Kedreeva,, the trick to keeping him upright is at the rear of your taco make it wider and then staple it twice along the end. I realize the tube itself around the chicks body is round but if the rear is flattened then stapled it helps. Also if you have a long hotdog tupperware container to put it in, you can pack paper towels on each side to prevent the chick from rolling over.

Group question:: Anyone elses egg count low so far for the year? I thought a few nites this week the girls was going thru their first vacation. Two nites no eggs at all, then tonight 9. I think we have 61 hens and have only had one week where we got 40 eggs plus so far. Think they're slacking big time here.

Group question:: Anyone elses egg count low so far for the year? I thought a few nites this week the girls was going thru their first vacation. Two nites no eggs at all, then tonight 9. I think we have 61 hens and have only had one week where we got 40 eggs plus so far. Think they're slacking big time here.
Mine were laying great, an egg every other day since mid march... until about 3 days ago they decided it's break time. I think mine were just super excited to start laying this year though.... I even had them laying sporadically in FEBRUARY.

Maybe try increasing their protein/calcium intake for a week and see if it spikes anything in them? Mine seem to do better when they regularly get dry cat chow in the afternoons, and the ones who are laying gobble up oyster shell any time I toss it in the pen.

I would say that the weather has my hens being erratic in their laying. Tonight I got 12 eggs from 28 hens, some nights it is only six or eight eggs. We have been getting a lot of wild storms in the last couple of weeks, we even had to wait four hours one night waiting for the water to go down enough to get into our driveway.

My protein level is right at 24 with no extra calcium, according to an article on the UPA they don't need more than 1 1/2% calcium in their diet, the feed I am giving is nearly 3%. While you were off doing the race car thing, we had a discussion about cat food and figured out that cat food doesn't have any more salt than regular gamebird breeder crumbles. The only reason I quit putting cat food in my mash is it was spiking my protein level too high.

Extra protein and other uneeded trace minerals gets pooped out their south door. Missed that previous discussion. I do know hens uses calcium in their bones to create eggshells. My ration provided there is no full feed piggies in the group should be getting right at 1% in their trace mineral additive and the other 1/2% or so from the feed itself. Thats estimating each adult pea will consume 4-6oz dry weight of feed per day and less when it's hot outside.

I'm really excited to share my first pip!

Day 28 should be Tuesday.

A second has pipped now too but it is too far down I think! I wish it weren't so late I'd be hoping for some guidance on this one!

Granted this is a homemade bator and I can't even hear the fan running but I never did or have heard a peep from these guys! I hope they make it through.

ellymayRans,, sometimes the peachicks toes are so curled under it cannot walk, no matter what kind of surface it has. We use old bath towels for their first few days here. Anyway if it becomes apparent the peachicks toes are curled if you tape them now you have a day before the peachick will need water and feed. It's best to do this asap because now that it's hatched the bones begins to stiffen. Toes are easy,,splayed leg is worse and a combination of both requires monitoring for a few days to get both corrected. If it's just a toe issue and depending on what you use to tape them with (somethings are slick and don't provide good traction) the chick can be put in a brooder box and it will be able to walk quickly once it gets the idea of how to stand,ect.

Back
Top Bottom