2016 Zodiac Hatch-A-Long - Waxing Moon in Fruitful Signs HAL

I am following this. I just set 46 today, and I hope the barren sign doesn't hurt the hatch.
I set eggs to hatch in the barren sign of Gemini a few days ago. That was a test batch.
I'm down on numbers of hens so can't set enough to do a scientific study till next year.

Best of luck.

I have some in the incubator I set afternoon of July 18th. Was that during the set time? I need all the help I can get, first time hatchet. :)
The 18th may have been a bit early. You'll have to check your location in the Lunarium site to see when they need to hatch.
Good Luck.

no idea but
welcome-byc.gif
if you have any questions about incubating @ChickenCanoe is very smart and an amazing resource to have around

Have fun!!
love.gif

What do you mean, you need to get a couple more eggs for pedigree?

I bag or box the eggs in the incubator and leg band them when they come out.
This way I can determine which flock they came from (sometimes I know the hen and rooster #s)
That prevents inbreeding. I can also track egg weights and colors the birds came from.

I use colored zip ties, changing them regularly till they're big enough for a #7 numbered leg band. Eventually, hens end up with a #9 and cocks, a #11.

Last edited:
I bag or box the eggs in the incubator and leg band them when they come out.
This way I can determine which flock they came from (sometimes I know the hen and rooster #s)
That prevents inbreeding. I can also track egg weights and colors the birds came from.

I use colored zip ties, changing them regularly till they're big enough for a #7 numbered leg band. Eventually, hens end up with a #9 and cocks, a #11.

What size zip ties do you use

The smaller the better.
Most gets cut off anyway.
Just make sure you check them weekly so they don't get too tight.

Last edited:
I'm going to be setting eggs tonight when I get back home. Not sure how many yet but I'll post. It will be just the darkest eggs over 55 grams laid in the last week to 10 days.

Well, to add to your data, I have a broody that sat on eggs starting the night of 8/17. I'll candle them this weekend to see how many are developing.

My incubator eggs had quite a few early losses- more than usual for me. It was set 8/3.

Back
Top Bottom